In today’s world news and information play a very important role and thanks to advanced technology now we can access all types of news anytime and from anywhere. This is only possible because of the various broadcasters that exist today and providing various news including business politics and other types of programs 24*7. The two most popular news channels in the USA are CNBC and MSNBC. Both CNBC and MSNBC are owned by NBC Universal News Group and both channels also belong to the same group. So what are the differences between CNBC and MSNBC?
Both CNBC and MSNBC are news channels but the main difference between these two channels is, CNBC is a financial news and information outlet where MSNBC provides global and national political news and political commentary. CNBC provides real-time stock coverage and analysis of the business world. On the other hand, MSNBC provides political news with a distinct liberal slant.
Jump To A Section
- 1 What Is CNBC?
- 2 What Is MSNBC?
- 3 Difference Between CNBC And MSNBC
- 4 List Of Programs Broadcast By CNBC
- 5 List Of Programs Broadcast By MSNBC
- 6 Comparison Table Between CNBC And MSNBC
- 7 FAQs About CNBC VS MSNBC
What Is CNBC?
CNBC is an American pay television business news channel established on April 17, 1989. CNBC stands for Consumer News and Business Channel. It is a 24-hour digital television network that offers live, global financial market information and programming. This channel provides business news from the US, Asia, and Europe and it has become a global business news network. CNBC provides original content and coverage of major industry news conferences, world markets, and mergers along with one-on-one interviews with CEO’s and global newsmakers.
Contact Information Of CNBC
900 Sylvan Avenue,
Englewood Cliffs, New Jersey 07632
What Is MSNBC?
MSNBC is an American news-based pay television cable channel established on July 15, 1996. MSNBC stands for Microsoft National Broadcasting Corporation. MSNBC provides live breaking news, informed commentary, and award-winning documentary programming about various political issues. It also provides NBC News coverage as well as political commentary on current events. This news channel was founded because of a partnership between Microsoft and NBC. NBC owns 82% of the shares in MSNBC while Microsoft holds 18% of the shares in MSNBC. The main genre of MSNBC is politics therefore it provides political news throughout the day every day. The main slogan of MSNBC is “The Place for Politics” and “America’s Fastest-Growing News Channel.” MSNBC broadcasts in the USA as well as Canada, Europe, South Africa, and the Middle East.
Contact Information of MSNBC
30 Rockefeller Plaza
New York, N.Y. 10112
Difference Between CNBC And MSNBC
1. CNBC is completely owned by National Broadcasting Corporation (NBC) but MSNBC is owned by Microsoft and NBC.
2. NBC holds 100 percent of CNBC shares while in MSNBC, NBC only holds 82 percent of the shares. Rest 12 percent is owned by Microsoft Corporation.
3. CNBC and MSNBC belong to the same genre but CNBC provides global financial market information and programming. On the other hand, MSNBC provides news about politics around the world.
4. CNBC stands for Consumer News and Business Channel but MSNBC stands for Microsoft National Broadcasting Corporation.
5. CNBC was launched in 1989; on the other hand, NBC tied up with Microsoft and launched MSNBC in 1996
6. The CNBC slogan is “First in business worldwide. Capitalize on it” while the slogan of MSNBC is “The Place for Politics” and “America’s Fastest-Growing News Channel.”
7. The broadcast area of CNBC is the United States, Canada, and United Kingdom while the broadcast area of MSNBC is the USA, Canada, Europe, South Africa Middle East, etc.
8. CNBC has reached more than 385 million households worldwide while MSNBC has reached 187 million households worldwide.
9. The main genre of CNBC is real-time financial market coverage, business analysis shows, talk show, etc. On the other hand, the main genre of MSNBC is news and politics.
10. The two main competitors of CNBC are Yahoo and CNNMoney while the two main competitors of MSNBC are Cable News Network and FOX News Network.
List Of Programs Broadcast By CNBC
1. Closing Bell
2. Fast Money
3. Mad Money
4. Power Lunch
5. Squawk Alley
6. Squawk Box
7. Squawk on the Street
8. The News with Shepard Smith
9. Worldwide Exchange
1. American Greed
2. Back in the Game
3. Billion Dollar Buyer
4. Blue Collar Millionaires
5. Cash Pad
6. Cleveland Hustles
7. Deal or No Deal
8. The Deed
9. Five Day Biz Fix
10. Jay Leno’s Garage
11. Listing Impossible
12. Make Me a Millionaire Inventor
13. The News with Shepard Smith
14. The Partner
15. The Profit
16. Restaurant Startup
17. Secret Lives of the Super Rich
18. Shark Tank
19. West Texas Investors Club
List Of Programs Broadcast By MSNBC
1. Way Too Early with Kasie Hunt
2. Morning Joe
3. MSNBC Reports
4. MTP Daily
5. MSNBC Reports
6. Deadline: White House
7. The Beat with Ari Melber
8. The ReidOut
9. All In with Chris Hayes
10. The Rachel Maddow Show
11. The Last Word with Lawrence O’Donnell
12. The 11th Hour with Brian Williams
1. MSNBC Reports
3. The Cross Connection with Tiffany Cross
4. MSNBC Reports
6. American Voices with Alicia Menendez
7. The Week with Joshua Johnson
1. MSNBC Reports
3. The Sunday Show with Jonathan Capehart
4. MSNBC Reports
6. American Voices with Alicia Menendez
7. The Mehdi Hasan Show
8. The Week with Joshua Johnson
Comparison Table Between CNBC And MSNBC
|Parameter Of Comparison||CNBC||MSNBC|
|Stands for||Consumer News and Business Channel||Microsoft National Broadcasting Corporation|
|Launched||April 17, 1989||July 15, 1996|
|Ownership||NBC||NBC and Microsoft Corporation|
|Airing Countries||USA, Canada, and United Kingdom||USA, Canada, Europe, South Africa Middle East, etc.|
|Main Program||The stock market, business content||News and political content|
|Slogan||“First in business worldwide. Capitalize on it”||“The Place for Politics” and “America’s Fastest-Growing News Channel.”|
|Popularity||CNBC is more popular and reaches more houses||MSNBC is less popular and reaches fewer houses|
FAQs About CNBC VS MSNBC
1. What Does C In CNBC Stand For?
CNBC stands for Consumer News and Business Channel. So, C in CNBC stands for “Consumer”
2. What Does The MS Of MSNBC Stand For?
The MS of MSNBC stands for Microsoft. MSNBC has established in 1996 thanks to a merger between Microsoft and NBC.
3. Is MSNBC Different From NBC?
Both NBC and MSNBC are Television networks but they have differences. MSNBC is a combination of Microsoft and NBC. But, NBC is owned by NBC Universal. Moreover, NBC is popular than MSNBC and it reaches more households than MSNBC.
4. Who Is The CEO Of MSNBC?
Phil Griffin is the CEO of MSNBC. He was born on November 27, 1956.
5. Who Is CNBC Owned By?
CNBC is owned by NBC Universal. NBC Universal is a worldwide television network that covers major industry news conferences, world markets, one-on-one interviews with CEOs and global newsmakers, etc.
Magalie D. is a Diploma holder in Public Administration & Management from McGill University of Canada. She shares management tips here in MGTBlog when she has nothing to do and gets some free time after working in a multinational company at Toronto.