A credit card account number is a 12-to-19-digit long number that identifies your credit account. Usually, the credit card account number is located on the front of your card. The credit card number is either printed or embossed across the front of your card. The first 6-digit of a credit card is called the ‘bin number’ and it identifies the type of card and the issuing bank. The rest of the number identifies the account. However, you will need the entire number to initiate and complete a transaction.
Jump To A Section
- 1 How To Identify Credit Card Account Number
- 2 Identify Credit Card Account Number Without A Card
- 3 The Meaning Of Credit Card Numbers
- 4 FAQs About Credit Card Account Number: How Can I Identify It
How To Identify Credit Card Account Number
If you have a credit card then you may need to know your account number to do various works. Identifying the credit card account number is very easy. Follow the below steps –
1. First, take the credit card in your hand, and in the front, you will see the credit card account number of your card. Usually, the credit card number is 16-digit but sometimes it can be 12 to 19 digits.
2. The first 6 numbers on your card are the Issuer Identification Number (IIN). It is also known as the Bank Identification Number (BIN).
3. The first number of the IIN indicates what credit card company issued your card. For example, all the VISA cards start with 4 and Mastercard begins with either 5 or 2.
4. The last number of your credit card indicates the check digit and is not part of your credit card account number. So, exclude the last digit of your credit card number.
5. Now write down the remaining numbers to find your account number. Once you have excluded the IIN and check digit number, the remaining number is your credit card account number.
6. So, if your credit card has a 16-digit number then your account number should be 9 digits.
Identify Credit Card Account Number Without A Card
If you don’t have your credit card or your credit card is lost but you need the credit card number then you can easily find the credit card account number. Check the information below –
1. If you receive a paper bill then check the credit card statement for the account number because your account number may be listed with your personal information at the top of the bill. But some companies only include the last 4 digits of your account number on your statement. If that is the case then follow the next step.
2. If you have an online account then you can find the account number easily. Visit the credit card companies’ official website and log into your online account. If you don’t have an online banking account then check the next step.
3. Finally, you can call the credit card company to get your account number. This is the best option if you don’t have access to your credit card and you can’t find your account number on your statement or online. When you call the company, you have to provide identifying information such as your social security number to prove your identity.
The Meaning Of Credit Card Numbers
At first glance, the credit card number might seem random, but each number on the credit card has specific meanings and these numbers work as identifiers when grouped together. Usually, the six to eight digits are referred to as the Bank Identification Number (BIN) or Issuer Identification Number (IIN) and identify the issuing company. The remaining digits identify the cardholder and are known as the account number. Usually, the first digit of the credit card works as the industry identifier. For example, if the first digit is 3 then the payment network is American Express. On the other hand, VISA cards start with 4, Mastercard usually starts with 2 or 5 and discovers with 6. Apart from the payment network the first digit also identifies which industry the card is associated with. The first digit of credit card is major Industry Identifier (MII):
1. If the card starts with 1 and 2 then it belongs with air travel and financial services
2. 2-6 numbers are usually used for everyday financial and banking uses
3. 7 is for the petroleum industry
4. 8 is for health care and telecommunications
5. 9 is open for use by the government and another category
FAQs About Credit Card Account Number: How Can I Identify It
Does A Credit Card Have An Account Number?
Yes, every credit card has an account number and the number can be up to 12 digits long and is also a part of your credit card number. Moreover, a credit card number is quite similar to a checking account number.
Where Can I Find My BPI Credit Card Account Number?
The BPI credit card number is a 16-digit customer number and you can find it in either the Credit Card Statement of Account or BPI Online.
How Can I Find My Credit Card Number Online?
If you want to find the credit card number online then you have to log in to your online account. If you don’t have an online account then first you have to open an account. After logging in, go to the card information section and there you will find the credit card number.
How Long Is A Credit Card Account Number?
A credit card account number is usually 16-digit long. However, depending on the card-issuing company the number can be 12-to-19-digit.
Does My Credit Card Have A Routing And Account Number?
A credit card doesn’t have a routing number. However, every credit card has an account number.
Last Updated on January 14, 2022 by Musa D