There are many ways you can remove a Target security tag without a magnet. You can remove the security tag with rubber bands, by freezing the tag, using a screwdriver, using needle-nose pliers, etc. You can also burn the security tag and then remove it.
- A security tag is a very common type of equipment that you will find on the products of almost every retail store
- Almost every retail stores use security tags because it helps the retail stores cut down on shoplifting losses
- Usually, in stores, cashiers use an electromagnetic device to deactivate the security tag
- If you try to remove the Target security tag in the store then it will set off the alarms at the door
7 Different Ways to Remove a Target Security Tag without a Magnet
Method 1: Remove the Security Tag with Rubber Bands
- First place the ink cartridge of the Target security tag face-down. You will find the ink cartridge on the opposite side of the pin.
- Now move the ink cartridge as far away as possible from the cloth so that the ink won’t ruin the cloth. You have to pull the part of the clothes that is attached with the security tag.
- Next, put a rubber band around the pin of the security tag. You have to pick a large rubber band that is thick and strong.
- Then hold the large part of the ink tag with one hand and pull the pin off with another hand. You have to put enough pressure on the pin so that the pin easily pulls apart from the rest of the security tag.
- If the security pin isn’t loosened enough then use multiple rubber bands and try again and see if it works!
Method 2: Use a screwdriver to remove the Target Security Tag
- First, place the cloth on the floor; make sure the ink cartridge is facing up
- Now take a thin flathead screwdriver and then place it along the edge of the square pyramid. Usually, the square pyramid of the Target security tag is raised so that you can easily place the screwdriver.
- Next, press down hard and you will see that the screwdriver will pierce the plastic and pull the square pyramid up.
- Continue this process until you completely pop up the perimeter of the plastic.
- Then remove the silver paper lining and you will be able to see the metal plate below it.
- Now use the screwdriver to lift the metal arms that hold the pin in place
- After that, you have to slide the pin away from the tag and the security tag will be removed.
Method 3: Freezing the Tag
- According to this method, first, you have to freeze the garment with the Target security tag. You have to freeze the cloth for at least 10 – 14 hours to get the best result.
- When you keep the cloth in the freeze, it will make the ink freeze. Now use your hand to rip open the security tag.
- Moreover, you can also use the rubber band method that I have discussed above to remove the security tag.
Method 4: Hitting the Tag
- First, pull the Target security tag gently for a few times.
- You should repeat this method for 8 – 10 times until the pin loosens a bit
- Now collect a large nail, and make sure the nail is bigger than the tag. Moreover, the head of the nail should be at least as wide as a penny
- After that, you have to pull the tag away from the cloth. Now the long plastic of the tag will be visible.
- Then hit down on the ink cartridge until it opens up. Don’t give much pressure, gently strike down on the ink cartridge until it pops open.
Method 5: Use Needle-Nose Pliers to remove the Security Tag
- First, hold the Target security tag with the ink cartridge side up
- Now get a pair of pliers and grip one side of the rectangular tag
- Next grip another side of the security tag with other pliers
- Now, carefully, bend each side of the tag down using the pliers. Make sure you don’t bend the security tag too hard. If you bend too hard then it will crack the security tag and spill ink everywhere
- You should keep bending the security tag until the security tag pops open
Method 6: Use Brute Force for Electro-Magnet Tags
- Nowadays, many stores use modern security tags instead of the conventional security tag. Usually, the modern security tags have electro-magnets than ink tanks. Now follow the below steps –
- First, put something between the tag and the head of the pin
- Now bend the pin-up and down until the security tag breaks
- After that, pull the tag straight back; when you do it, the pin of the tag will exit the hole
- Finally, you will be able to break open the target security tag
Method 7: Burn the Security Tag
- If you closely look at the security tag, you will see a dome-like portion on the tag. Use a lighter to burn the dome-like portion of the tag. Burn the dome-like portion for a few seconds
- Next, use a small knife to chop the dome
- Keep chopping the dome until you find a spring
- If you see the spring then remove the spring and the security tag will pop out automatically
FAQs about How Can I Remove a Target Security Tag without a Magnet
What kind of magnet do I need to remove a security tag?
You will need a high-power magnet to remove the security tag. Usually, in stores, cashiers use an electromagnetic device to deactivate the security tag. But at home, you have to place the magnet on a flat surface and lay the tag on top of it. You have to make sure that the ink dome or cartridge is facing down. Next, you have to take the tag close to the magnet and you will hear a click sound. If you hear the click sound then it means the tag is successfully deactivated. Finally, wiggle the pins in the tag up and down to release them.
Can I remove the security tag by cutting the wire?
It is possible to remove the Target security tag by cutting the wire, but the process is not simple. Nowadays, most of the security tags have 1 or more pins inside the tag to secure the cartridge to the body of the tag. So, what you have to do is, cut the wire with a wire cutter. You have to make sure that the wire cutter is placed between the 2 halves of the tag.
Do Target Security tags set off the alarms at the door?
Yes, in most cases target security tags will set off the alarms at the door. The Target security tags are designed to set off an alarm!
Does the magnet method work on ink tags?
The answer to this question depends on what type of tags are used or you are trying to open. For example, if the ink tank requires a magnet to open then the magnet method will work on that tag.
How do I remove the tag while I am still in the shop?
If you are still in the shop then you don’t have to remove the tag by yourself. You just have to buy the product and take the product to a cashier. Then the cashier will remove the security tag for you. You don’t have to pay any extra fees to remove the tag from your cloth or other products.
Last Updated on November 16, 2022 by Magalie D.
Magalie D. is a Diploma holder in Public Administration & Management from McGill University of Canada. She shares management tips here in MGTBlog when she has nothing to do and gets some free time after working in a multinational company at Toronto.