There are quite a few ways you can find the routing number for Capital One. You can find the routing number on paper checks, direct deposits, electronic fund transfers, wire transfers, etc.
- A routing number is different from a bank account number
- A bank account number identifies ownership of the account within the bank’s computer systems while a routing number identifies the bank
- The first four-digit of the Capital One routing number represents the Federal Reserve Processing Symbol
- The final digit of the routing number is the check digit and it validates the routing number
What is a Routing Number?
In the USA, banks and other financial institutes use an ABA routing transit number to identify the financial institution for various banking purposes. The ABA routing transit number is also known as the routing number and usually, it is a 9-digit number that identifies the bank that is associated with a transaction. A routing number plays a very important role to successfully complete various banking tasks like –
- Paper checks
- Direct deposits
- Electronic fund transfers between financial accounts
- Wire transfers
A routing number is different from a bank account number. Usually, the bank account number is unique to each bank account but that is not the case for the routing number. Usually, the routing number is the same for all the accounts of a bank. A bank account number identifies ownership of the account within the bank’s computer systems while a routing number identifies the bank and offers added protection by providing added accuracy of transactions.
Capital One Routing Numbers
|Capital One Bank||051405515|
|Capital One 360 (Online Banking)||031176110|
|Capital One, N.A||056073502|
Understanding the Capital One Routing Number
Usually, the Capital One bank routing number has three sections. So, to understand the Capital One routing number you have to check each of its three sections. The first four-digit of the Capital One routing number represents the Federal Reserve Processing Symbol. Here are digits one and two identifying which of the 12 Federal Reserve Districts the financial institution resides in. For example, if you see 11 then it means the bank is located in the Dallas District. On the other hand, the 3rd and 4th digits indicate the regional processing center and its location. The next four digits identify the financial institutions like the Capital One bank. The final digit of the routing number is the check digit and this digit basically, validates the routing number.
Steps to Find a Bank’s Routing Number
You might need the bank routing number for various reasons. If you don’t know your routing number then you have to find out your bank’s routing number. You can easily find the routing number of your bank. Below are a few tips that you can follow to locate your routing number conveniently –
- If your account is a checking account then you can find the routing number on your check. Closely examine your check and you will find the account number at the bottom of the check. In the front of your account number, you will find the 9 nine-digit routing number.
- You can also find the routing number on your bank statement. You can find the routing number printed near your account number on the bank statement.
- You can call the customer service of your bank or physically visit the bank branch to know the routing number of your bank.
- Another way of finding the routing number of a bank is to visit its official website. You can simply visit the website to find the routing number.
- If you have an online account then you can also easily find the routing number of your bank. Just login to your online banking account and then select Account Numbers & More to find your routing number.
How to Find Routing Number of Capital One Bank
There are three easy ways available that you can follow to find the routing number of Capital One bank. They are –
- Find the Routing Number on the Check
- Find the Routing Number on the Website
- Find the Routing Number on the Mobile App
1. Find the Routing Number on the Check
This is the quickest way you can find the routing number of Capital One bank. If you have a personal account on Capital One bank then you should check the personal check for the routing number. Pull out your checkbook and look at the bottom left corner. You will see a 9-digit sequence and this is the routing number of your Capital One bank.
2. Find the Routing Number on the Website
If you don’t have a check then you can also find the routing number on the Capital One bank official website. Now follow the below steps –
- First, open a browser on your computer
- Now visit the official Website of Capital One bank
- Next, sign in to your online banking account with your username and password
- When logged in, click on the account information
- Then click on the “View Details” option to the left of your balance and you will see the routing number
3. Find the Routing Number on the Mobile App
If you have the Capital One mobile app installed on your smartphone then you can also find the routing number of the Capital One bank. Now follow the below steps –
- First, open the mobile app on your smartphone
- Next sign in to your online banking account
- Then select the account you need the routing number
- After that, click on the “View Details” option to the left of your balance and you will see the routing number
Reasons You Will Need the Routing Number
A routing number is required to complete various banking transactions. Below are some important reasons you will need the routing number –
1. Setting up Direct Deposit
This is a very common reason you might need the routing number. Many employers pay the salary through checks while others offer direct deposit. Direct deposit has some benefits compared to checks. So if you want to receive a direct deposit then you will need the routing number. Routing numbers will help to identify your bank account branch and number.
2. Transferring Money between Banks
Transferring money between banks requires a routing number. If you want to transfer money from one bank to another then you will have to provide your bank’s routing number. Here, the routing number will help the bank identify the other financial institute associated with the transaction. Moreover, if you want to make an online transaction then you will also have to provide the routing number. Without the correct routing number, you won’t be able to transfer funds online.
3. Receive Tax Refund Deposit
You can receive the tax refund deposit either via a check or receive it as a direct deposit to your account. Receiving a tax refund deposit via check will take one or two weeks to receive the fund. On the other hand, you will instantly receive a refund via direct deposit. To do so, you have to provide the routing number of your bank. It will ensure that the tax refund deposits into the right account.
4. Pay your Bills Online
You can set up an automatic bill payment to pay all your bills online and simplify your finance management. You can easily set up ACH payments and have funds automatically drafted from your bank account. To initiate the ACH payments, you have to provide the routing number of your bank account.
5. Wire Transfers
This is another common reason you will need the routing number. A wire transfer allows you to quickly and securely send money to other bank accounts. In fact, a Wire transfer is quicker than an ACH transfer. So, if you want to initiate a wire transfer then you have to provide your routing number and account number as well as the recipient’s account number and routing number to successfully complete the transaction.
FAQs about How Can You Find Routing Numbers for Capital One
Does Capital One have 2 routing numbers?
Yes, Capital One has two routing numbers. These two routing numbers are associated with their two business entities, they are Capital One Bank (USA), N.A. and Capital One, N.A.
Does Capital One use the same routing number for savings accounts and checking accounts?
Yes, Capital One bank uses the same routing number for a savings account as well as a checking account.
What are the Capital One routing numbers for wire transfer?
The Capital One routing numbers for wire transfer are –
|Type of wire transfer||Capital One Bank routing number||Capital One routing number|
|Domestic Wire Transfer||051405515||056073612|
|International Wire Transfer to Capital One account in the USA||051405515||056073612|
Does my Capital One credit card have a routing number?
No, Capital One’s credit card doesn’t have a routing number. This is because credit cards don’t need a routing number to complete the transaction.
Last Updated on November 13, 2022 by Magalie D.
Magalie D. is a Diploma holder in Public Administration & Management from McGill University of Canada. She shares management tips here in MGTBlog when she has nothing to do and gets some free time after working in a multinational company at Toronto.