A Walmart gift card is one of the top gift cards you can get or give to anyone in the United States. But people sometimes want to know if it is possible to convert the gift card into cash, and it isn’t possible.
It could be that a person has other needs and may not want to use the gift card at that moment. Instead, they will appreciate getting cash and want Walmart to give them the monetary value of the gift card. However, Walmart does not officially change its Walmart gift card to cash for users. So, it is almost impossible if you have been thinking of the idea.
Yes, you cannot walk into a Walmart store and request them to give you the cash equivalent of your Walmart gift card balance. Since it is not a part of their Walmart gift card policy, no one can do such for you, even the store manager.
After all, it would only be right that Walmart would want you to use its Walmart gift card within its stores. And, they cannot be sure of that if they decide to convert the card to cash as people can spend such cash anywhere they desire.
In this article, we will probe further to see if there are some ways people can change or convert their Walmart gift card to cash, and we will explore all available options.
So, continue reading further to see and find out if you can indulge in some methods to convert your Walmart gift card to cash.
Jump To A Section
Methods To Use In Turning Your Walmart Gift Card To Cash
Typically, Walmart does not have any Walmart gift card policy that allows them to convert the balance of your gift card to cash.
However, some ways to make it happen include:
1. Through A Refund: One of the few ways you can turn your Walmart gift card to cash is through a refund. However, allow us to tell you that it isn’t as easy as you might think, and you would need to put in the work. The idea of the refund, in this case, is that you would have to buy something from Walmart and later have to return it and request a refund. So if you have a Walmart gift card, you would need to buy something slightly higher than the gift card balance as that is the only way it would be regarded as a cash transaction. For example, if your gift card balance is $100, you can decide to buy something worth $110. Therefore, you would use the gift card balance and give them additional $10 cash. After that, you will get a receipt for the transaction, and you need to safely keep the receipt as you would need it when you decide to initiate a refund. Then, you would keep the item safely for some days, but ensure to return it within 14 days. So, if Walmart has to give a refund, they will give you cash since you paid some amount in cash. This option will come in handy for people who are not in urgent need of cash.
2. Through State Laws: Interestingly, we see that some states like California have laws that mandate stores to convert gift cards to cash for their users. In such a case, a store like Walmart will have no option but to convert the Walmart gift card to cash. However, it is important to note that this factor depends on your state, as it isn’t for every state. In addition, it is also important to note that the gift card has to be a certain amount before the store can convert it to cash for you. For example, a state could say that stores should convert gift cards to cash for people who have their gift cards if the card balance is $10 or below. So if you have above that amount and need cash, you won’t be able to get it. Instead, you have to make purchases using that card until it reaches $10, then you can ask the store to convert the gift card to cash for you. If you live in a state with such laws, you can be sure that you will get your Walmart gift card converted to cash.
3. By Reselling: Another way you can convert your Walmart gift card to cash is by reselling. However, it is important to note that it is not an official method, and you cannot resell to Walmart. If you plan on reselling your Walmart gift card, you will be doing so to external parties apart from Walmart as Walmart does not indulge its customers in such. Instead, you will see that some platforms have such arrangements where they buy gift cards from people and give cash in return. Therefore, you can check out these platforms to see if they accept Walmart gift cards. It is also important to note that you might not be getting the full money if you decide to sell your Walmart gift card. For example, if there is a $500 balance on your Walmart gift card, the platform might offer to buy it for $420. It is left to you to decide if you are comfortable with such an amount or arrangement. You have to check for platforms that will give you a higher and more acceptable amount for your gift card. However, it is rare to find any platform that would give you the exact amount of your balance.
Walmart Gift Card Terms And Conditions
Some of the terms and conditions guiding Walmart gift cards include:
1. Compliance With The Laws: As a Walmart gift card user, you agree to stick and abide by laws guiding Walmart. When you use the Walmart gift cards, you agree to defend Walmart from claims that people make against them when it concerns your gift card. In addition, you also agree that you will not use the gift card for things that are not in line with the rules and regulations of Walmart. For example, you may not use your Walmart gift card for promotional purposes. Also, you must not use your Walmart gift card in a way that becomes harmful to other users.
2. Lost Or Stolen Gift Card: People are usually curious to know what happens when they misplace their Walmart gift card. So, the policy here is that Walmart is under no obligation to replace your gift card if it is lost or stolen. Some people may argue that the case of a stolen gift card is not their fault and desire to get compensation from Walmart. However, Walmart believes that you should protect your gift card from theft. Thus, they will not replace your gift card for free. When your Walmart gift card is lost or stolen, it is best to keep in mind that you bear the cost for its replacement.
3. Expiration: One of the commonest questions people ask about Walmart gift cards is their expiration as they want to know if the gift card can expire. However, allow us to tell you that Walmart gift cards do not expire. Yes, if you have a Walmart gift card, you can use it even after five years as long as there is still money on the card. So, getting a Walmart gift card does not mean that you have to use it immediately. There is no pressure to use your Walmart gift card, as it does not have any expiration period.
4. Not For Resale: Walmart frowns against reselling its gift card. So, even though one of the ways you can turn your Walmart gift card to cash is by reselling it, it is against Walmart’s terms and conditions. It means that you are liable to any consequences that follow such actions. For example, if you sell your Walmart gift card to a platform that isn’t reliable, Walmart cannot help you as reselling their gift card is against their terms and conditions. So, if you give them your Walmart gift card details and they do not credit you for it, you cannot hold Walmart responsible.
5. Not For Promotional Use: Some people may say that Walmart is trying to restrict its users here, but that is not the case. Walmart states that you can use its gift card for different activities, personal, or business. However, it would be best not to use it for promotional activities like advertising. Thus, there is usually a cap on the number of Walmart gift cards you can get at once. You will see that no one can get more than 750 cards at once. And if you want to, you will need to call the store and speak with an associate for some verification.
Frequently Asked Questions
Some of the frequently asked questions about Walmart gift cards include:
How Can I Transfer A Walmart Gift Card To PayPal?
It is impossible to do such a transaction through a Walmart store or platform. However, you can do such a transaction with a reselling platform if they offer it.
Can I Turn A Walmart Gift Card Into Cash?
No, Walmart cannot help you turn its gift card into cash. However, you can do so if you use any of the methods we have talked about.
Walmart encourages people always to use its gift card, so they do not turn their gift cards into cash, except in states that have such rules. However, you can use the methods mentioned to turn your gift card into cash.
Magalie D. is a Diploma holder in Public Administration & Management from McGill University of Canada. She shares management tips here in MGTBlog when she has nothing to do and gets some free time after working in a multinational company at Toronto.