If you want to write a check to yourself then you will require the name of the payee, and the amount you want to send/receive. Moreover, you also have to sign the check. While writing the check to yourself, you have to write the name of the payee under the “pay to the order of” section. Here you have to put your name because you are writing the check to yourself.
- Writing a check to yourself is similar to writing a check to someone else; you have to write the date, your name, amount of money and provide your signature on the check
- ACH Transfer is one of the simplest ways to move money from one bank account to another bank account
- The Automated Clearing House (ACH) system transfers the funds electronically and it is free of costs
- Intra-bank transfers allow you to transfer money from one account to another account in the same bank
How To Write The Personal Check To Yourself
The process of writing a check to you is similar to writing a check to any other person. So follow the below steps accordingly if you want to write a check to yourself.
1. First, you have to write the date on the check. On the top right-hand corner of the check, you will see the dateline and there you have to write the current date
2. In the middle of the check, you will see the long line preceded by the word “Pay to the Order Of.” Here you have to write your legal name
3. On the right side of the word “Pay to the Order Of” you will see a box. Here you have to write the amount in number
4. On the below of the word “Pay to the Order Of” there is a line where you have to write the check amount in words
5. On the lower-left corner of the check, you will find the Memo line. Here you can mention the reason for the check for future reference
6. On the signature line, sign the check with your valid signature
7. The final step is the endorsement where you have to sign the back of the check with your signature
Other Ways To Move Your Money
Transferring money from one bank account to another is not very difficult. Moreover, writing a check to yourself is not the only way to move money. There are many other ways available to move money from one account to another. Let’s check them out!
This is one of the simplest ways to move money from one bank account to another bank account. Ach transfer is an electronic way to move money from one account to another. You can only avail of this service if your bank offers a bank-to-bank transfer service. Online banking system allows you to link many accounts and now many offline banks also allow you to link two or more accounts. The Automated Clearing House (ACH) system transfers the funds electronically and it is free of costs.
If you are trying to transfer money from one account to another account in the same bank then you can easily do it from your online banking account. Just sign in to your online account and then make a transfer. This is a hassle-free process and you will receive the money instantly.
If you are transferring money between two different banks then you can also choose to make your transfer to another account with a wire transfer. In this type of transfer system, you might have to pay a small fee but it is also a simple way to transfer money. Many banks will allow you to make wire transfers for free.
If you are a small business owner and if you have a business account then you can write a check to yourself from your business account. However, in this type of situation, you will require the authority to sign off on a check from your business account. If you have the authority then you are ok to transfer money from your business account to another account of yours.
FAQs About How To Write A Check To Yourself
1. Can I Cash The Check At Any Bank Or Credit Union?
No, you can’t cash a check at any bank or credit union because any bank or credit union is not obligated to cash your check. Only the bank or credit union where your account is obligated to cash your check.
2. How To Write A Check Payable To Cash?
If you want to write a check payable to cash then you have to write “cash” instead of the payee’s name in the “Pay to the Order Of” line.
3. Can I Cash A Check Written To Myself?
Yes, you can cash a check that is written to yourself. But, you have to make sure that your account has a sufficient balance to cash the check. If your check is bounced back then you might have to pay a fee or a payment to your bank for returning the bill.
4. Is It illegal To Write A Check To Yourself?
No, it’s not illegal to write a check to yourself as long as there is sufficient balance on your account. Though, there are some considerations involved while writing a check to yourself.
5. Where Can I Cash A Check Written To Myself?
There are many options available when it comes to casing a personal check. You can cash a check written to yourself from –
1. Your Local Bank or Credit Union
2. The check Issuing Bank
3. Walmart Check Cashing
4. Your Local Grocery Store
5. Gas Station Travel Centers
6. Transact by 7-Eleven
7. Endorse Your Check to a Friend
8. Check Cashing Stores
6. Can You Cash A Personal Check With Insufficient Funds?
No, you can’t cash a personal check with an insufficient balance. The account must have sufficient funds to cash your check.
Last Updated on October 23, 2022 by Magalie D.
Magalie D. is a Diploma holder in Public Administration & Management from McGill University of Canada. She shares management tips here in MGTBlog when she has nothing to do and gets some free time after working in a multinational company at Toronto.