William Henry Gates III, most commonly known as Bill Gates is an American business magnate, software developer, investor, author, and philanthropist. He is the co-founder of Microsoft Corporation. Once the richest person in the world, Bill Gates now ranked the fourth richest person in the world with a net worth of 144.7 billion as of June 2021. So how much money does Bill Gates make a second?
According to Business Insider, Bill Gates makes approximately $4,630 per second. Bill Gates made his early billions through Microsoft Corporation but now he only owns just about 1 percent of the company’s shares. Since Bill Gates stepped down from the Microsoft Corporation, he invested his money in several other entities.
Early Life Of Bill Gates
Bill Gates was born on October 28, 1955, in Seattle, Washington, U.S. He is the son of William H. Gates Sr. and Mary Maxwell Gates. The ancestry of Bill Gates includes English, German, and Irish/Scots-Irish. His father was a prominent lawyer and his mother was a member of the board of directors for First Interstate BancSystem and the United Way of America. At the age of 13, Bill Gates was enrolled in the private Lakeside prep school where he wrote his first software program. Bill Gates was a National Merit Scholar when he graduated from Lakeside School in 1973. Later in his career, Bill Gates enrolled at Harvard College in the autumn of 1973. After two years of admission, he left Harvard College.
In 1975, Bill Gates co-founded Microsoft with childhood friend Paul Allen in Albuquerque, New Mexico. It is the world’s largest personal computer software company and Bill Gates led the company as chairman and CEO. He stepped down from the CEO in January 2000 but remained the chairman of the board of directors. Later, Bill Gates stepped down as chairman of the board of Microsoft in February 2014 and took a new post as technology adviser to support the newly appointed CEO Satya Nadella. In March 2020, Bill gates left his board position at Microsoft Corporation in order to focus on climate change, global health and development, and education.
Some Amazing Facts About The Wealth Of Bill Gates
1. From the last year, Bill Gates has become $41 billion richer in the current year. He is nearly $70 billion richer than he was in 2016.
2. The amount Bill Gates makes per second that it wouldn’t be worth his time to stop and pick up a $100 bill from the ground.
3. If Bill gates start to spend $1 million a day then it would take more than 400 years for him to spend his fortune.
4. Bill Gates is about 66% richer than the British monarchy. According to Forbes, The British royal family is estimated to be worth $90 billion.
5. Bill Gates made his fortune with Microsoft Corporation but now he only owned 1.3% of the company in 2019.
6. Over the years Bill Gates has donated at least $41 billion to charity but still, he remains the fourth-richest person in the world.
7. Bill gates has so much wealth that an average American person spending $1 is similar to Bill Gates spending about $1.2 million
8. Bill Gates’s net worth is greater than the combined GDP of Luxembourg, Estonia, and Bolivia.
9. Bill Gates is richer than the richest person in Asia and also the richest person in China, combined. The richest man in Asia, Mukesh Ambani is worth $74.7 billion and China’s richest person Zhong Shanshan is worth $66.3 billion.
10. If Bill Gates started to give away $15 to every single living person on the planet then he still would have $28 billion left over.
11. According to the Social Security Administration; on average an American man with a bachelor’s degree will earn about $2.2 million in his lifetime. On the other hand, Bill Gates will earn the amount in a little over 28 minutes.
List Of Business Ventures And Investments Of Bill Gates
Over the years Bill Gates has invested lots of money and he has a multi-billion dollar investment portfolio with a stake in various sectors. Some of the key business ventures and investments of Bill Gates are –
1. AutoNation is an automotive retailer and Bill Gates has a 16% stake in trading on the NYSE
2. bgC3 LLC is a think-tank and research company which is founded by Bill Gates
3. Bill Gates is the largest single shareholder of Canadian National Railway (CN)
4. Bill Gates is the founder of Cascade Investment LLC, a private investment and holding company incorporated in the United States
5. Bill Gates provided funds for Carbon Engineering, a for-profit venture
6. Bill Gates has founded chaired Corbis, a digital image licensing and rights Services Company
7. Bill gates provided large financial support for EarthNow, a Seattle-based startup company
8. Bill Gates was a major stake-holder of Eclipse Aviation, a defunct manufacturer of very light jets
9. Impossible Foods develops plant-based substitutes for meat products and Bill gates have provided funds for this company
10. Bill gates is a stack holder of Ecolab, a global provider of water, hygiene, and energy technologies
11. Bill gates provided $35 million of financial support for a social networking site for scientists named ResearchGate
12. Bill Gates is a co-founder of a nuclear reactor design company named TerraPower
13. Bill gates provided $350 million in venture funding for Ginkgo Bioworks, a biotech startup company in 2019
List Of 20 Richest Person In The World
|Serial||Name||Net Worth (Billion Dollar)||Company/Country|
|1||Jeff Bezos||$188.5||Amazon/ United States|
|2||Elon R Musk||$169.9||Tesla/ United States|
|3||Bernard Arnault & family||$164.1||LVMH/ France|
|4||Bill Gates||$129.2||Microsoft/ United States|
|5||Mark Zuckerberg||$111.6||Facebook/ United States|
|6||Warren Buffett||$99.8||Berkshire Hathaway/ United States|
|7||Larry Ellison||$98.8||Software/ United States|
|8||Larry Page||$96.1||Google/ United States|
|9||Sergey Brin||$93.2||Google/ United States|
|10||Mukesh Ambani||$78.3||Diversified/ India|
|11||Amancio Ortega||$77.9||Zara/ Spain|
|12||Francoise Bettencourt Meyers and Family||$77.8||L’Oreal/ France|
|13||Steve Ballmer||$73.3||Microsoft/ United States|
|14||Carlos Slim Helu and family||$66.3||Telecom/ Mexico|
|15||Alice Walton||$66.1||Walmart/ United States|
|16||Jim Walton||$64.3||Walmart/ United States|
|17||Rob Walton||$63.6||Walmart/ United States|
|18||Zhong Shanshan||$62.8||Beverages, Pharmaceuticals/ China|
|19||Ma Huateng||$61.2||Internet Media/ China|
|20||Michael Bloomberg||$59.0||Bloomberg LP/ United States|
References: 1 https://www.businessinsider.com/how-rich-is-bill-gates-net-worth-mind-blowing-facts-2019-5
References: 2 https://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2021/05/04/how-much-money-does-bill-gates-make-a-second/
Last Updated on August 6, 2022 by Ana S. Sutterfield
Magalie D. is a Diploma holder in Public Administration & Management from McGill University of Canada. She shares management tips here in MGTBlog when she has nothing to do and gets some free time after working in a multinational company at Toronto.