Puerto Rico is officially known as the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico and it is a Caribbean Island and unincorporated U.S. territory. It is located in the northeast Caribbean Sea and about 1,000 miles southeast of Miami, Florida. If you are planning to visit Puerto Rico and wondering whether you would be able to use your Chase bank credit, debit, or Visa card then the below information will help you sort things out. Let’s dig into the article!
If you have a Chase Bankcard and if the card is affiliated with the Visa or Mastercard system then you will be able to use your Chase bank card. In Puerto Rico, all credit card terminals accept Visa and Mastercard therefore, if you carry a Chase bank Visa or Mastercard then you don’t have to worry about anything. Most banks in Puerto Rico are part of the ACH bank clearinghouse in the USA. You might have to pay additional ATM fees along with the bank charges.
Jump To A Section
- 1 How To Setup Travel Notification To Chase Bank Account
- 2 List Of Personal Chase Credit Cards With No Foreign Transaction Fees
- 3 List Of Available USA Credit Cards For Puerto Rico Residents
- 4 List Of Cards That Don’t Accept Applications From Residents Of Puerto Rico –
- 5 FAQs About Can I Use My Chase Bank Card In Puerto Rico
How To Setup Travel Notification To Chase Bank Account
If you use your Chase bank card outside of the country without notifying the Chase bank then new charges from outside the U.S. could trigger a fraud alert and temporarily shuts down your credit card. Therefore, it is very important for you to set up a travel notification to your Chase bank account. You can set up a travel alert on your Chase account up to 1 year before your trip to avoid any unwanted problems. Here is the step-by-step guide to adding a travel notification to your chase account –
1. First, log in to your Chase bank online banking account and click on the menu icon in the upper left corner
2. From the drop-down menu click on the “Profile & Settings” option
3. Next, scroll all the way down on the menu and select “Travel” under “More Settings”
4. Now, next to the credit card section, click “Update” on the right side of the screen to set up your alert
5. After that, you will see the list of all your Chase credit cards
6. Now, you have to input your departure and return dates along with all of your destinations from the drop-down boxes
7. You can input more than 1 destination in the box
8. Then click on the “Save” button
9. Now you will see a notification that is confirming the travel notice on your account
10. Finally, your card is ready to use for your international travels
If you have a Chase bank mobile app then you can also easily add a travel notification to your Chase account. Just follow the below steps –
1. First, open your Chase bank mobile app and log in to your account
2. Next, click on the profile icon in the upper right corner
3. After that, click on “My Settings” from the top of your mobile screen
4. Now scroll down until you get to “Travel” under “More Settings”
5. Next to the credit card section, click on Update
6. After that, you will see the list of all your Chase credit cards
7. Now, you have to input your departure and return dates along with all of your destinations from the drop-down boxes
8. You can input more than 1 destination in the box
9. Then click on the “Save” button
10. Now you will see a notification that is confirming the travel notice on your account
11. Finally, your card is ready to use for your international travels
List Of Personal Chase Credit Cards With No Foreign Transaction Fees
Usually, the Chase bank cards carry a 3% foreign transaction fee but there are certain types of Chase credit cards available that waive the standard 3% foreign transaction fee. So, when you are traveling outside the USA then you can consider carrying any of the below cards –
1. Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
2. Chase Sapphire Reserve®
3. Southwest Rapid Rewards® Priority Credit Card
4. Southwest Rapid Rewards® Premier Credit Card
5. United Gateway℠ Card
6. United MileagePlus® Club Card
7. United℠ Explorer Card
8. United℠ TravelBank Card
9. British Airways Visa Signature® Card
10. Aer Lingus Visa Signature® Card
11. Iberia Visa Signature® Card
12. Marriott Bonvoy Boundless® Credit Card
13. The World of Hyatt Credit Card
14. IHG® Rewards Club Premier Credit Card
15. Amazon Rewards Visa Signature Card
16. Ink Business Preferred® Credit Card
17. Southwest® Rapid Rewards® Premier Business Credit Card
18. United℠ Explorer Business Card
List Of Available USA Credit Cards For Puerto Rico Residents
Most of the popular banks and biggest U.S. credit card issuers accept applications from residents of Puerto Rico. However, there are some limitations on what type of cards you can apply for if you live in the territory. Below is a brief overview of major card issuers and their policies on applications from Puerto Rico –
1. American Express
If you live in Puerto Rico then you can apply for any American Express consumer or business credit card. You will have to be a permanent resident of Puerto Rico and at least 21 years old to apply for the American Express card.
2. Bank Of America
Bank of America allows credit card applications from Puerto Rico residents. However, you need to be at least 21 years old as well as a permanent resident of Puerto Rico to become eligible to apply for the Bank of America credit card.
3. Capital One
You can only apply for Capital One’s Walmart-branded cards:
1. The Capital One® Walmart Rewards™ Mastercard
2. The Walmart Rewards Card
You can apply for Chase’s consumer and business credit cards if they’re age 21 or older. You also have to be a resident of Puerto Rico.
5. Citi Bank
Puerto Rico residents can apply for all City-issued credit cards excepts for the American Airlines cards. The eligibility requirements are the same as the Bank of America, Chase Bank, etc.
All Discover cards accept applications from residents of Puerto Rico. you need to be at least 21 years old as well as a permanent resident of Puerto Rico to become eligible to apply for these cards.
7. Wells Fargo
Puerto Rico residents can also apply for all Wells Fargo credit cards. These cards include the Visa payment network.
List Of Cards That Don’t Accept Applications From Residents Of Puerto Rico –
1. JetBlue Card
2. JetBlue Plus Card
3. AAdvantage® Aviator® Red World Elite Mastercard
4. AAdvantage® Aviator® World Elite Business Mastercard
5. Citi® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® World Elite Mastercard®
6. American Airlines AAdvantage MileUp℠ Card
7. Citi® / AAdvantage® Executive World Elite Mastercard®
FAQs About Can I Use My Chase Bank Card In Puerto Rico
Does Chase Have ATMs In Puerto Rico?
No, Chase bank doesn’t have ATMs in Puerto Rico. However, you can use the Chase bank credit or Visa cards at non-Chase ATMs in Puerto Rico. You have to pay a fee of $2.50 per transaction as well as the ATM operators might charge additional fees.
Can I Use Chase In Puerto Rico?
Yes, you can use Chase bank cards in Puerto Rico. However, your Chase bank card must have to be affiliated with the Visa or Mastercard system then you will be able to use your Chase bank card.
Can I Use My US Credit Card In Puerto Rico?
Usually, Puerto Rico accepts all the major cards of USA banks including American Express, Visa, Diner’s Club, Discover, Master Card, and other Bank credit cards. You can easily access your funds at thousands of ATMs throughout the island.
What Cards Work In Puerto Rico?
Usually, the Mastercard and Visa cards are accepted most widely throughout Puerto Rico.
Can I Use My Chase Credit Card Internationally?
Yes, you can use your Chase credit card internationally but you have to activate “Travel Notification” for your Chase Bank Account to avoid triggering a fraud alert and temporarily shutting down the credit card.
Last Updated on November 25, 2021 by Musa D