Plan B One-Step is also known as the “morning-after pill”. It is a type of emergency contraception (EC) pill. This type of pill is designed to prevent pregnancy after birth control failure or unprotected sex. The main purpose of the Plan B pill is to delay ovulation. Therefore, if the ovulation is already happening then the Plan B pill won’t work during ovulation.
Jump To A Section
- 1 What Is Ovulation?
- 2 Who Can Take Plan B Pills?
- 3 How Effective Are Plan B Pills?
- 4 Side Effects Of Plan B Pills
- 5 Alternative Of Plan B Pills During Ovulation To Prevent Pregnancy
- 6 How Much Does Plan B Pills Will Cost?
- 7 FAQs About Plan B Success Rate During Ovulation
What Is Ovulation?
Ovulation is the process of releasing a mature egg from the ovary. Usually, ovulation happens about 13–15 days before the start of each period. The timing of Ovulation can vary cycle-to-cycle like the period. In this process, an egg will mature within one of your ovaries. When the egg reaches maturity, it is released by the ovary. Then the egg enters the fallopian tube to make its way towards waiting for sperm and the uterus. Some key facts about Ovulation are –
1. The life cycle of an egg is 12-24 hours after leaving the ovary
2. Every time one egg is released each time of ovulation
3. Ovulation can be affected by stress, illness, or disruption of normal
4. There might be some light blood or spotting during ovulation
5. Implantation of a fertilized egg normally takes place 6-12 days after ovulation
6. Each woman is born with millions of immature eggs that are awaiting ovulation to begin
7. A menstrual period can start even if ovulation has not occurred
8. Some women experience pain/aching near ovaries during the ovulation
9. If an egg is not fertilized, it disintegrates and is absorbed into the uterine lining
Who Can Take Plan B Pills?
Any woman who can become pregnant can take Plan B when needed. There is no age restriction to taking the Plan B pills. You can take Plan B Pills –
1. If you had sex without a barrier
2. If the condom broke during sex
3. If you forgot to take your birth control pill the day before or after sex
How Effective Are Plan B Pills?
If you have unprotected sex and take the pill within 72 hours, then the EC can reduce the chance of pregnancy by 75 to 89 percent. According to Plan B’s manufacturer, the sooner you will take the pill after unprotected sex the more effective it is. Moreover, certain medications can alter their effectiveness. If you take any of the following medicine then consult with a healthcare professional before taking plan b pills –
1. rifampin (an antibiotic)
2. griseofulvin (an antifungal)
3. St. John’s wort (an herb)
4. seizure medications, including carbamazepine, phenobarbital, and primidone
5. some HIV medications, including efavirenz
Though the manufacturers advise taking Plan B within 3 days of unprotected sex you can take the pill up to 5 days after penis-in-vagina sex. Recent research suggested that Plan B is “moderately effective” when taken between 72 and 120 hours after sex. But you should keep in mind that the effectiveness of the pill decreases the longer you wait. Usually, the plan B pill works by:
1. Stopping the release of an egg from the ovary
2. Preventing sperm from fertilizing the egg
3. If fertilization occurs, Plan B may prevent a fertilized egg from attaching to the womb
Side Effects Of Plan B Pills
Plan B is a safe birth control pill. Usually, this type of pill contains a higher hormone dose than birth control pills, but the hormone doesn’t remain in the body for a long time. There are no severe side effects of Plan B pills but some common side effects are –
2. Abdominal pain or cramps
3. Nausea or vomiting
5. Breast tenderness
Moreover, your menstrual cycle may also temporarily change if you take plan B pills. So, the period could come earlier or later, and it could be heavier or lighter. Many women also experience periods that could come earlier or later, and they could be heavier or lighter. These are common side effects of any kind of birth control pills and there is nothing you can do to prevent these side effects. If you vomit within 2 hours of taking this morning-after pill then you should consult with a healthcare professional to check if you need to take a second dose.
Alternative Of Plan B Pills During Ovulation To Prevent Pregnancy
There are several methods available that you can choose as an alternative to Plan B pills during ovulation to prevent pregnancy. They are –
5. Vaginal ring
Moreover, barrier methods like condoms, are also an option. However, if you have unprotected sex then the barrier methods won’t work at all. You have to use the barrier methods before unprotected sex. If you have sex without adequate contraception during ovulation then the copper IUD (ParaGard) is the safest emergency contraceptive. You’ll have to insert it within 5 days after sex or ovulation for it to work. Copper IUD makes it very difficult for sperm to reach the egg and reduces the chance of pregnancy by more than 99 percent.
How Much Does Plan B Pills Will Cost?
The Plan B pills might cost you between $40 and $50. Plan B pill is a branded form of EC, therefore it is a bit expensive. Generic levonorgestrel pills can be an alternative to Plan B pills and they will cost you less. On the other hand, if you have insurance or Medicaid then you might be covered for some form of EC. Moreover, you can also collect EC for free or at a much lower cost from a family planning clinic or local health department.
FAQs About Plan B Success Rate During Ovulation
How Long Do I Have To Get Emergency Contraception?
Plan B work best up to 3 days after unprotected sex. You can take these up to 5 days after sex but the pills won’t work nearly as well by day 5.
Is The Morning-After Pill Safe?
Yes, the morning-after pills are completely safe. There have been no reports of serious complications of morning-after pills.
How Many Times Can I Use The Morning-After Pill?
You can take the morning after pills whenever you need to and it won’t hurt you. But it’s not a good idea to use the morning-after pill frequently because this method is more costly and this type of pill won’t work 100%.
Does Plan B Stop Ovulation?
Yes, the plan B pill stops ovulation. It stops the release of an egg from the ovary and prevents ovulation as well as prevents the union of sperm and egg (fertilization).
Does Morning After Pill Work After Ovulation?
No, morning-after pills won’t work after ovulation because the main purpose of morning-after pills is to prevent ovulation. So, if the ovulation has happened then there is nothing the morning-after pills can do.
Magalie D. is a Diploma holder in Public Administration & Management from McGill University of Canada. She shares management tips here in MGTBlog when she has nothing to do and gets some free time after working in a multinational company at Toronto.