The Wells Fargo checking and savings account routing number differs depending on the state. Usually, you will find your savings account routing number on the checks of your Wells Fargo account. On the other hand, you will need a unique routing number if you want to send a domestic wire transfer or an international wire transfer. The domestic wire transfer routing number of Wells Fargo is 121000248. On the other hand routing number/ SWIFT code for international wire transfers is WFBIUS6S.
Jump To A Section
- 1 Key Takeaways
- 2 How To Find The Wells Fargo Routing Number
- 3 Finding The Routing Number On The Check
- 4 Wells Fargo Routing Number By State
- 5 Contact Wells Fargo Customer Service
- 6 Different Routing Number For Wire Transfers
- 7 FAQs About Wells Fargo Routing Number
- 7.1 1. Does Wells Fargo Have Different Routing Numbers?
- 7.2 2. Which Wells Fargo Routing Number Do I Use For ACH?
- 7.3 3. Does It Matter What Routing Number You Use?
- 7.4 3. Can You Get Your Routing Number Online At Wells Fargo?
- 7.5 4. What Does The ACH Routing Number Mean?
- 7.6 5. What Happens If I Use The Wrong Routing Number?
- 7.7 6. What Are Routing Numbers Used For?
- 7.8 7. Does My Wells Fargo Routing Number Change When I Move?
- 7.9 8. Can I Change My Routing And Account Number?
- 7.10 9. Does The Routing Number Change With A New Debit Card?
- 7.11 10. How Do I Send An Online Wire Transfer From Wells Fargo?
- 7.12 11. What Information Do You Need For ACH Transfer To Wells Fargo?
- 7.13 12. Is It OK To Give The Routing Number?
- 7.14 13. Why Did My Routing Number Change?
- Wells Fargo is one of the largest banks in the United States and it has more than 13,000 ATMs and 5,400 retail banking locations across the country
- A routing number is a nine-digit numerical code that is used to identify a bank or other financial institute
- In the USA, the routing number is known as the ABA (American Bankers Association) routing transit number
- The ABA routing transit numbers were created to allow banks and credit unions to securely send and receive funds
- The easiest way to find the routing number of your Wells Fargo account is to look on the check
How To Find The Wells Fargo Routing Number
Wells Fargo is one of the largest banks in the United States and it has more than 13,000 ATMs and 5,400 retail banking locations across the country. So it is pretty clear that it’s not easy to find/memorize the Wells Fargo routing number because they have lots of routing numbers for different retail banking locations. But this routing number is very important and you will require it to make a direct deposit, get a paycheck deposited, transfer funds, or do other financial transactions. There are three ways you can find the Wells Fargo routing number. They are –
1. Find the routing number from the personal check
2. Look up the routing number by state
3. Call Wells Fargo customer service and ask
Finding The Routing Number On The Check
This is the easiest way to find the routing number of your Wells Fargo account. If you have a Wells Fargo personal check then just look in the bottom-left corner of your check. Here you will see a nine-digit number and this is the Wells Fargo routing number. The ABA routing number is always a nine-digit number where the first four digits correspond to the Federal Reserve Routing Symbol and the next four digits are the ABAB institution identifier. The final digit is the check digit.
Wells Fargo Routing Number By State
|State||ABA Routing Number|
Contact Wells Fargo Customer Service
You can also collect the Wells Fargo routing number online from their website. Here you have to select the account type and the state to get the routing number. Moreover, you can also call Wells Fargo customer service and ask a customer service representative for your ABA routing number. The customer service number of Wells Fargo is 1-800-869-3557 and they are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
Different Routing Number For Wire Transfers
You can use the ABA routing numbers only for ACH transfers. So if you are receiving a wire transfer then the routing number will be different. Moreover, there are separate routing numbers for domestic wire transfers and international wire transfers. They are –
1. Domestic wire transfer (Wire Routing Transit Number) – 121000248
2. International wire transfer (SWIFT/BIC Code) – WFBIUS6S
Wire transfer is better because you will receive the funds more quickly compared to the ACH transfer but wire transfers are expensive. Usually, an ACH transfer is free but a wire transfer is not free. You have to pay $15 for an incoming wire transfer and $30 for an outgoing wire transfer. Moreover, you have to provide some additional information when receiving a wire transfer. They are –
|Bank Name||Wells Fargo Bank, N.A.|
|Bank Address||420 Montgomery, San Francisco, CA 94104(regardless of where your account is located)|
|BNF/Field 4200Beneficiary Acct. #||Your complete Wells Fargo account number including leading zeros|
|Beneficiary account name and address||The name and address of your account as it appears on your statement|
FAQs About Wells Fargo Routing Number
1. Does Wells Fargo Have Different Routing Numbers?
Yes, Wells Fargo has different routing numbers. You will have the routing number depending on the location you opened your account, the type of account, and what type of transaction you are making.
2. Which Wells Fargo Routing Number Do I Use For ACH?
You can easily find your Wells Fargo routing number on the check. You can use that routing number for ACH fund transfer.
3. Does It Matter What Routing Number You Use?
Yes, it does matter what routing number you are using because most of banks use different routing numbers for different types of transactions. So when you are making a particular type of transaction you have to ensure you are using the routing number that is assigned for that transaction type. For example, the routing number printed on your check might not be the exact routing number you need for an ACH transfer or direct deposit.
3. Can You Get Your Routing Number Online At Wells Fargo?
Yes, you can get your Wells Fargo routing number online. You have to visit https://www.wellsfargo.com/help/routing-number/ and provide an answer to some questions to get the routing number online. The questions you will be asked are –
1. Are you looking for a routing number or an account number?
2. Will you be using this information to receive a wire transfer?
3. Where is the source of the incoming wire transfer?
4. For what account type do you need this information?
5. In what state did you open your Savings Account?
4. What Does The ACH Routing Number Mean?
An ACH routing number is a 9-digit unique number and the number is used to identify where payments should be taken from and sent to. Usually, this number is used to send or receive an ACH payment.
5. What Happens If I Use The Wrong Routing Number?
If you use the wrong routing number while making a wire transfer then the transfer will be rejected and the fund will be returned to you. Usually, a bank checks the account number, name, and routing number, etc., and if the information doesn’t match then the bank cancels the payment.
6. What Are Routing Numbers Used For?
A routing number is very important because banks use this number for all types of financial transactions. So routing numbers are used for –
1. Setting up a direct deposit
2. Pay bill automatically from the bank account
3. Make payment via check
4. Make a wire transfer or ACH payment
5. Make salary or pension deposit on the account
7. Does My Wells Fargo Routing Number Change When I Move?
No, your Wells Fargo routing number won’t change when you move from one state to another. The routing number specifies the state where you opened the account.
8. Can I Change My Routing And Account Number?
There is no way you can change the routing and account number of an existing bank account. The only way to change the routing and account number is to open a new bank account. There are no other ways available.
9. Does The Routing Number Change With A New Debit Card?
No, the routing number doesn’t change with a new debit card. It remains the same as long as the bank account is open.
10. How Do I Send An Online Wire Transfer From Wells Fargo?
You can easily send an online wire transfer from Wells Fargo. Follow the process below –
1. First, open a browser on your computer and visit the official website of Wells Fargo
2. Now log in to your account and from the menu click on the Transfer & Pay
3. Then enroll in online wire transfers to initiate a wire transfer
4. Now choose the recipient, funding account, and the amount
5. Finally, check the provided information and click on the Send button to complete the process
11. What Information Do You Need For ACH Transfer To Wells Fargo?
If you want to make an ACH transfer to Wells Fargo then you have to provide some information. They are –
1. Name of the account
2. Routing/ABA number
3. Account number
4. Type of bank account: business or personal account
5. Transaction amount
12. Is It OK To Give The Routing Number?
Yes, it is ok to give the routing number because this is not personal information and usually a bank’s routing number is publicly published on their website.
13. Why Did My Routing Number Change?
Usually, the routing number doesn’t change but if you find out that your routing number has changed then there is a possibility that your bank might be merged, consolidated, or acquired by other banks. So you should contact the bank authority to find out what actually has happened.
Last Updated on October 25, 2022 by Magalie D.
Magalie D. is a Diploma holder in Public Administration & Management from McGill University of Canada. She shares management tips here in MGTBlog when she has nothing to do and gets some free time after working in a multinational company at Toronto.