We cannot say that Walmart has a timetable for restocking or sticks with a specific schedule. However, we see that they ensure to restock at least once daily, and it usually happens between 10 pm to 7 am. The overnight stockers are in charge of this duty.
The rate at which Walmart restocks products depends on how busy the store gets. If it is one of those stores where items finish on the aisle fast, you can see some associates restocking during the day. The goal is to ensure that customers always get whatever they need when they visit the store.
It is almost impossible to see that Walmart does not have an item available as they ensure to always restock the shelves. But since they love to do things in an orderly manner, they prefer waiting until nighttime before they restock.
When applying for the role of an overnight stocker at Walmart, you can be sure that you are in charge of restocking, and the shift will run from 10 pm to 7 am.
These stockers ensure that adequate products are on each shelf to ensure that the store does not run out of them before the end of the day. In addition, it ensures that other associates can focus on their various jobs and not bother about restocking these shelves during the day.
Reasons Why Walmart Restocks Regularly
Walmart regularly restocks regularly for many reasons, including:
1. To Eliminate Inconvenience: Walmart understands that it will be inconvenient when customers come to the store and cannot get the item they desire. Here, the customer’s purpose for visiting the store is defeated, and they will be disappointed. In addition, it will also not tell well on the store and would dent their reputation. For example, someone goes to Walmart to get tampons and doesn’t see anyone on the designated shelf. It could be that there are available tampons in the warehouse, but the restockers did not put adequate ones on the shelf. Since Walmart does like it when customers go through such ordeals, they ensure to restock regularly to avoid such complaints. Walmart tries to stand out from the regular as they do not want to be like other stores. They have seen that people complain of this inconvenience with other stores, and they do not want to be associated with such. Therefore, there is pressure on the restockers to ensure that the shelves are never empty. And the restockers know that they may get a query if the shelves are empty as it is one of the rules they get during their orientation program. Walmart wishes to be a convenient store for everyone, ensuring that customers are never stressed or disappointed when they come around.
2. Food Safety: Food safety is another reason Walmart ensures to restock regularly, especially when it concerns food items. The goal is to ensure that they do not compromise the safety of their customers, which can happen when food items are left on the shelf for a long time. Yes, it might be confusing to grasp this concept as we say that Walmart always wants to ensure that the shelves are well-stocked to ensure that they do not run out of items. However, the fact that the shelves need to be well-stocked does not mean they will overfill them, especially for the food shelves. Instead, the stockers ensure to fill the shelves with appropriate portions and not hesitate to restock once the shelves are empty. The goal here is to ensure that they can keep track of all food items as they do not want to sell expired products. The stockers are usually thorough in checking these food items to ensure none have expired, compromising their safety policy. After all, it would dent their reputation if news goes out that Walmart sells expired food items. Therefore, you are sure of food safety when buying from Walmart.
3. Food Freshness: Of course, you can tell that people won’t be interested in buying food items that are not fresh. Therefore, Walmart has to restock regularly to sell only fresh foods. For example, it would not make sense for the tomato shelf to be left for days before restocking. Even if the tomatoes do not finish, you can tell that they will not be fresh again. These tomatoes begin to get soft and rot, and people won’t buy them. However, such could have been avoided if there had been regular restocking. Walmart understands the essence of always having fresh foods as that is the desire of all customers. Thus, stockers must always restock regularly. After all, the store would run at a loss if they left things to spoil without restocking. Sometimes, the idea of restocking may even involve moving things from one point to another as it could be that their present location wasn’t suitable. These little details are things that many stores ignore. However, Walmart strives to be a pro-choice store and always pays attention to even the littlest detail. It always helps to assure customers that they are eating healthily.
4. Customer Retainer: Without a doubt, we can all agree that there are numerous retail stores, and Walmart has lots of competitors. So, it is easy for customers to switch between these stores, and Walmart doesn’t want that to happen. Therefore, they deploy numerous strategies to retain their customers, including regular restocking, as they do not want anything to drive away their customers. The goal of any business is always to get new customers and retain their old customers. Businesses are always looking for ways to get their competitors’ customers. Since Walmart has seen that many stores do not regularly restock, they use it as an avenue to get the customers. Thus, they regularly restock for customers to never complain about the unavailability of products when they visit Walmart. And, we can agree that once people do not have complaints, they will not think of moving to competitors. Walmart strives for customer satisfaction, and they know that one of the ways to get such is by restocking regularly. Thus, they assure customers that they will always get what they need whenever they visit Walmart. It may not seem like an effective strategy at first, but it has been working for Walmart.
5. Staying Ahead Of Competitors: In a way, one might say that it is similar to our above point. However, the above point concerns itself with customers, and this point is about competitors. Every business is always looking for strategies that help them stay ahead of its competitors. And Walmart has noticed that regularly restocking would be an effective strategy. Walmart has remained in business all these years due to its strategic and critical thinking, helping them. And they will not always regularly restock if it hasn’t been working for them. Of course, they would also deploy other strategies to work with this one, always to be a step ahead of their competitors.
How To Know If An Item Is Available Before Heading To The Store
We know that you would be happy to have an option that lets you know if items are available before heading to the store. After all, no one wants to waste time going to a store only to get disappointed when their desired items are unavailable.
So, we would talk about how to know if an item is available before heading to the store.
One way of doing such is by downloading the Walmart smartphone app. This application allows you to check through the inventory of your Walmart store. In addition, it has an option that makes this possible, letting people know if their desired items are available in the stores or if they can be gotten from the depot.
The Walmart stocks apps also let you know if items are available at the store. Allow us to tell you that humans do not like stress. So, people will love to confirm if certain items are available before heading to the store. And if the items are not available, they would wait and keep checking until it becomes available at the store.
In addition, allow us to tell you that you do not need to wait long before items are restored and become available.
Some of the frequently asked questions about Walmart restocking include:
How Many Times A Week Does Walmart Restock?
It is almost impossible to state the number of times that Walmart restocks weekly. After all, stockers are always going to update the shelves regularly. So, it is hard to keep track of the weekly frequency.
What’s The Best Day To Shop At Walmart?
It is not surprising that Walmart is always busy as it has become a favorite store for many people. So, shopping on weekday mornings is the best time to shop to encounter lesser traffic.
Does Walmart Restock Every Night?
Yes, Walmart restocks every night.
Walmart strives to restock regularly to ensure customer satisfaction, and a typical restocking time is at night from 10 pm to 7 am.
Magalie D. is a Diploma holder in Public Administration & Management from McGill University of Canada. She shares management tips here in MGTBlog when she has nothing to do and gets some free time after working in a multinational company at Toronto.