Target is not owned by Walmart. Walmart is totally a different company and it has nothing to do with Target. Target is owned by Target Corporation. Target Corporation was previously known as the Dayton-Hudson Corporation before 2000. Under the new name, Target Corporation now runs 1900+ retail stores across all 50 USA states.
- Target is an American-owned company headquartered in Minneapolis, Minnesota
- Target is ranked 8th among the discount store retailers in the United States and it’s popular for low price high-quality genuine products and affordable household items
- Target has more than 1900 stores across the USA
- According to a recent statistics, 75% of the USA population lives within 10 miles of a Target store
History of Target
Target Corporation has a history of more than 100 years. Target was established in 1902 by George Dayton. Initially, the company was named Goodfellow Dry Goods in June 1902. Later it was renamed Dayton’s Dry Goods Company in 1903 and then Dayton Company in 1910. In 1962 the first Target store was opened in Roseville, Minnesota. In 1967 the name of the parent company changed to Dayton Corporation. In 1969, Dayton Corporation merged with the J.L. Hudson Company and was renamed as Dayton-Hudson Corporation. After the merge, Dayton Corporation becomes the owner of various departmental stores including Dayton’s, Hudson’s, Marshall Field’s, and Mervyn’s. Finally, in 2010, the Dayton-Hudson Corporation was renamed to Target Corporation. Target Corporation started its journey with an intention to create a discount store chain that would provide value for money products to shoppers who were seeking a high-quality experience.
What is Target Renowned For?
Target is known as a general merchandise retailer company with stores in every state in the USA including the District of Columbia. It is said that 75% of the USA population lives within 10 miles of a Target store. Another key aspect of Target is its huge product collection. Since its establishment target has been offering a variety of products that ranges from groceries to household items including bedding, furniture, kitchen items, grocery items, and many more. You can buy products from Target in-store or online. Another reason Target is very popular among people is its excellent and addictive shopping experience. At Target people sometimes come to buy a single product but end up buying far more. This is why Target has its own entry on Urban Dictionary titled the “Target Effect”.
What Companies Are Owned By Walmart?
Now we know that Target doesn’t own by Walmart; so let’s check what companies are owned by Walmart –
- Sam’s Club: It is a wholesale store and offers lower pricing than other retailers
- Asda: It was established in 1965 and it is headquartered in Leeds, England
- Seiyu: This is a Japanese retail store and it is headquartered in Tokyo, Japan. It has more than 400 stores across Japan
- Netto: It offers grocery items at a very low price and it was established in 1989.
- Pudong Zhong Bai: This is a Chinese company and it is known as Sinotruk in China. This company was founded in 2002 and is currently expanding its business into South America
- Best Price Modern Wholesale: Its business operation is in India and currently it has 150 locations throughout India.
FAQS about Who Owns Target
Is Target Australian Owned?
No, Target is not Australian-owned. Target is an American-owned company headquartered in Minneapolis, Minnesota. The Target Corporation was formally known as the Dayton Corporation which is an American retailing company and it was established in 1902.
Is Target Owned By Costco?
No, Target is not owned by Costco. Costco is a different company than Target. Costco basically is a wholesale club and it sells products in bulk at low prices. On the other hand, Target is a big box department store chain with limited inventory. The main difference between Costco and Target is you won’t need any membership to purchase products from Target.
Is Target American Owned?
Yes, Target is American-owned. In fact, Target is America’s one of the largest retail corporations and specialized in providing various products and services to its customers. The name Target comes from Dayton’s early name. Initially, Dayton’s name was Target Dry Goods.
What Family Owns Target?
The Target Corporation is owned by a family that is the descendants of George Draper Dayton. George Dayton. George Draper Dayton is the founder of Target and he founded it in 1902. George Draper Dayton retired from business in 1928 and his sons Bruce, Nelson, and James took control of their father’s business and made Target one of the largest department store chains in northern Ohio.
Who is the current CEO of Target?
Brian Cornell is the current CEO of Target. Brian C. Cornell is mostly known as Brian Cornell and he is an American businessman. He became the CEO of Target in 2014 and he is also non-executive chairman of Yum! Brands.
Last Updated on November 4, 2022 by Magalie D.
Magalie D. is a Diploma holder in Public Administration & Management from McGill University of Canada. She shares management tips here in MGTBlog when she has nothing to do and gets some free time after working in a multinational company at Toronto.