Capital One bank account restriction is very common and there is nothing to be panicked about it. Because, if your bank account is restricted by Capital One, you can remove the restriction easily. You have to identify the reason for the restriction and then take the necessary steps to remove the account restriction.
- If you cross the maximum credit limit of your account then Capital One bank can restrict your account
- If there is any fraudulent activity on your account then Capital One bank can also restrict your account
- In order to remove the Capital One bank account restriction, you have to provide some information like your account number, credit card number, your online account username, and password, the date of your last purchase, the last purchase amount, etc.
- You can contact Capital One customer service by phone at 1-800-227-4825
Reasons Why a Capital One Account Can Be Restricted
There are quite a few reasons available that might play a vital role to have your Capital One account restricted. They are –
- Crossed the Maximum Credit Limit of Your Account
- Late Payments
- Used the Card in New Stores or Places
- Fraudulent Activity on Your Account
- System Error
1. Crossed the Maximum Credit Limit of Your Account
Every Capital One bank account has a credit limit. When you get the approval of a credit card with Capital One Bank, your credit card will be given a maximum credit limit. So, you are only able to spend to your card’s limit or the amount allowed by the bank. But some banks allow their users to spend a certain amount after the credit limit. The bank usually charges a small fee for the extra amount. But, if you have exceeded your credit limit 3 – 4 times then Capital One might restrict your account. You can easily check your credit card’s limit by calling customer service or you can also check the balance through your Capital One online banking account.
2. Late Payments
This is a very common reason for the restriction on your Capital One account. If you don’t make the credit card payments in time then Capital One can restrict your bank account or credit account. Capital One Bank has an official policy of restricting account that has late fees of 25% and is due more than the total available balance. Therefore, check and see if you have any late payments available before contacting customer service. If there are dues then make all the late payments and then contact the bank authority to remove your restriction. Moreover, if you have missed the payments for several months then Capital One Bank would restrict your account as well as charge your credit card! You should also remember that if your Capital One account is restricted due to late payments then there will be 6 months red flag on the account.
3. Used the Card in New Stores or Places
This is a very unusual reason your Capital One account might be restricted. If you use your Capital One credit card in a store or on an online platform for the first time, then the bank system might recognize the new shopping activity and transaction as suspicious or fraudulent activity and block your account. For example, if you are traveling to a new place and use your credit card to purchase something then the system might block your card to protect your account. Capital One bank uses various security measures to identify suspicious behavior and fraudulent activities to protect the user’s bank account.
4. Fraudulent Activity on Your Account
This is a very important reason that your Capital One bank account would be restricted. Most banks of the modern era use various security measures to protect their accounts from fraudulent activity. Banks take these measures to protect the money of the account holder because in most cases the victim notices these payments weeks after the incident has happened. For example, if you make two big payments in two different places at once then Capital One will block your transaction and in some cases can block your bank account.
5. System Error
If you are 100% sure that you haven’t crossed the credit limit or if you haven’t missed any payment then your Capital One account might be restricted due to a system error. This is also a common reason Capital One bank accounts get restricted. There might be a problem with the server therefore, you aren’t able to use your credit card or access your bank account.
How to Remove the Capital One Account Restrictions
Now that we know the different reasons why Capital One accounts get restricted let’s see how you can remove the account registration. You will be pleased to know that, if your Capital one account gets restricted, you can remove the restriction. When Capital One restricts an account, it means the account is suspended for some reason. So, what you should do, if your account gets restricted? If your Capital One bank account gets restricted then you should contact Capital One customer service. Follow the below steps –
Step 1: Prepare or Collect Important Documents
Before you contact the Capital One customer service you should prepare yourself by collecting all the important documents. For example, you should collect your account number, password, credit card number, your online account username and password, the date of your last purchase, last purchase amount, etc. This information will help your remove the restriction from your bank account.
Step 2: Contact Capital One Customer Service
The quickest way you can contact Capital One customer service is by phone. Below are the current contact number of Capital One Bank –
- Capital One Customer Service
- 1-800-CAPITAL (1-800-227-4825) (For servicing of existing accounts only)
- Outside The US, Call Collect
- Online Banking Support
- Fraud Protection
- 1-800-427-9428 or 1-800-239-7054
- International Collect Calls To Report A Lost Or Stolen Card
- Capital One General Customer Service Phone Support
Step 3: Discuss Your Problem
Once, a customer agent receives your call, you should explain to the customer agent about your problem. The customer agent might ask you some questions like your account number, last transaction date, your social security number, last purchase amount, etc. Provide all the required information and tell the agent that you are not able to use your credit card or your bank account is restricted. Then the customer agent will let you the reason why your account is suspended.
Step 4: Ask the Agent what you should Do
After finding out the reason why your account is restricted, now ask the customer agent and confirm with the agent what you should do to remove the restriction. For example, if your account is restricted due to late payments then ask the customer agent whether paying the minimum payment would remove the restriction from your account. If your account is restricted because of a system error then ask the customer agent whether you have to do anything from your end to fix the issue. Finally, don’t forget to ask the customer agent, when will your account be fixed!
How to Avoid Getting Your Capital One Account Suspended
Getting your account restricted can add a lot of problems to your daily life. You can follow the below steps to avoid getting your Capital One account restricted. Let’s check them out!
- You must keep track of your account. You can easily keep track of your account from your Capital One online account. If you have a Capital One online account then you can easily see how much you have spent and what is your remaining amount.
- Always make sure you don’t spend more than your account limit. Sometimes, you might have to overspend to avoid some problems, but trust me spending more than your credit limit will create more problems. Therefore, you should constantly monitor your account’s spending limit to avoid overspending.
- You should always try to pay the minimum amount on the due date or before the due date. This way you will be able to avoid late payments.
- If you are planning to make a large purchase using your credit card then you should call your bank beforehand and inform them about your purchase. This way you will be able to prevent your account from being restricted due to suspicious activity.
FAQs about Why is My Capital One Account Restricted? How to Remove the Restrictions
What does it mean when Capital One says your account is restricted?
If your Capital One account is restricted then it means you are not allowed to make any changes to your account. Moreover, you won’t be able to use your credit card to make any payment, both online and offline.
How do I unlock my Capital One account?
If you want to unlock your Capital One account then you have to contact Capital One customer service at 1-877-383-4802. The Capital One customer agent will tell you the reason why your account is restricted and how you can remove the restriction.
Why is my Capital One credit card restricted?
There are quite a few reasons your Capital One credit card can be restricted. For example, if you change your account information or if you spend more than your credit limit then Capital One can restrict your credit card.
What happens when your bank account is permanently restricted?
If your bank account is permanently restricted then you won’t be able to do anything with your bank account. You won’t be able to make any deposit or withdraw money from the permanently restricted ban account.
Last Updated on November 12, 2022 by Magalie D.
Magalie D. is a Diploma holder in Public Administration & Management from McGill University of Canada. She shares management tips here in MGTBlog when she has nothing to do and gets some free time after working in a multinational company at Toronto.