Cornell University’s admission is very selective and it only has an acceptance rate of 8.7%. Moreover, half of the admitted students have an SAT score between 1400 and 1540 or an ACT score of 32 and 35. This shows how competitive it is to get into this university. Moreover, you need a higher GPA score to compete against other applicants. Your GPA score must be at least 4.00 or higher.
Jump To A Section
- 1 Key Takeaways
- 2 Overview Of Cornell University
- 3 Cornell University Acceptance Rate
- 4 Cornell University Class Profile For Undergraduate Students
- 5 Cornell University Class Profile For Graduate Students
- 6 Cornell University Admission Deadlines
- 7 English Language Requirements At Cornell University
- 8 Cornell University Admission Requirements For Undergraduate Program
- 9 Cornell University Admission Requirements For Graduate Program
- 10 List Of Popular Programs At Cornell University
- 11 FAQs About Cornell University Acceptance Rate, SAT/ACT Scores, GPA Requirements, etc.
- 11.1 Is A Writing Supplement Required For Admission At Cornell University?
- 11.2 Is There Any Fee Required For Submitting The Supplemental International Students Form For Cornell University?
- 11.3 What GPA Do You Need To Get Into Cornell?
- 11.4 Is It Harder To Get Into Cornell Or UCLA?
- 11.5 Is Cornell Ivy League?
- Cornell University is a very renowned private Ivy League and statutory land-grant research university located in Ithaca, New York
- Cornell University is a research university and it provides an exceptional educational experience for undergraduates and graduate and professional students
- The main campus of Cornell University in Ithaca, New York spans 745 acres and makes it one of the largest universities in the USA
- If you are an international student then you have to pay a 30 USD fee
Overview Of Cornell University
Cornell University is one of the oldest universities in the USA and it was established in 1865 by Ezra Cornell and Andrew Dickson White. This university has seven undergraduate colleges and seven graduate divisions at its main Ithaca campus. It also has two satellite campuses, one in New York City and one in Education City, Qatar. The main campus of Cornell University in Ithaca, New York spans 745 acres and makes it one of the largest universities in the USA. Below are the world rankings of Cornell University –
- #17 in National Universities (tie)
- #52 in Best Colleges for Veterans
- #22 in Best Undergraduate Teaching (tie)
- #22 in Best Value Schools
- #21 in Most Innovative Schools (tie)
- #242 in Top Performers on Social Mobility (tie)
- #9 in Best Undergraduate Engineering Programs
- Aerospace /Aeronautical / Astronautical
- #10 in Biological / Agricultural
- #12 in Biomedical (tie)
- #10 in Civil (tie)
- #10 in Computer
- #9 in Electrical / Electronic / Communications
- #9 in Environmental / Environmental Health (tie)
- #5 in Industrial / Manufacturing
- #7 in Materials
- #10 in Mechanical
- #8 in Business Programs (tie)
- #11 in Management
- #7 in Quantitative Analysis (tie)
- #11 in Real Estate (tie)
- #5 in Computer Science (tie)
- #5 in Artificial Intelligence
- #11 in Computer Systems (tie)
- #7 in Cybersecurity
- #6 in Data Analytics/Science
- #9 in Game/Simulation Development (tie)
- #3 in Programming Languages (tie)
- #6 in Theory
- #6 in Writing in the Disciplines (tie)
- #22 in Undergraduate Research/Creative Projects (tie)
- #14 in Co-ops/Internships
Cornell University Acceptance Rate
|Students||Early Decision||Regular Decision||Total|
|No. of Applicants||6,158||42,956||49,114|
So, if you look closely at the above table then you should notice that Early decision has a high acceptance rate compared to regular decision. So, the early decision has a better chance of admission. Therefore, if you are planning to apply for Cornell University then you should go for the Early decision.
Cornell University Class Profile For Undergraduate Students
|Standardized Test||25th Percentile||75th Percentile|
Cornell University Class Profile For Graduate Students
|Subject/School||Total Applicants||Admitted Students||Acceptance Rate||Median UG GPA||Standardized Test Scores||Average Work Experience|
|2-year MBA Program||1,653||280||17%||3.41||Median GMAT Score: 700||5 years|
|Cornell Law School – Juris Doctor Program||3,826||198||5.2%||3.77||Median LSAT Score: 167||Not required|
|Cornell Medical School||6,000||106||1.8%||3.87||Average MCAT Score: 519||Not required|
|Cornell Masters of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering||N/A||N/A||N/A||3.50+||Average GRE Verbal Score: 153+;Average GRE Quantitative Score: 160+||Not required|
|Cornell Master of Industrial and Labor Relations||NA||N/A||35% – 40%||3.50+||GRE Score: Average GRE Verbal Score: 157, Average GRE Quantitative Score: 155, Average GRE Analytical Score: 4.3 OrGMAT Score: Average GMAT Verbal Score: 35 Average GMAT Quantitative Score: 45 Average GMAT AWA Score: 5.2||4 years|
Cornell University Admission Deadlines
|Undergraduate||Early Decision (Financial Aid)||November 1|
|Undergraduate||Regular Decision (Financial Aid)||January 2|
|Undergraduate Transfer||Fall (Financial Aid)||March 15|
English Language Requirements At Cornell University
|English Proficiency Test||Minimum Required Score|
|TOEFL iBT||UG courses: 100PG courses: 24 in Speaking, 20 in Reading, 15 in Listening, 20 in Writing|
Cornell University Admission Requirements For Undergraduate Program
1. Application Portal: Common Application Portal or Universal College Application
2. Application Fee: 80 USD
3. Official transcripts translated into English
4. Cornell University Writing Supplement and Questions
5. School Report
6. Letter of recommendation
7. Two evaluations from teachers
8. Mid-year Report, whenever available
9. Cornell University Questions and Writing Supplement (CA) or Cornell Supplement (UCA)
10. Interviews, portfolios, design submissions (if specified)
Cornell University Admission Requirements For Graduate Program
1. Application Portal: College Net ApplyWeb
2. Application Fee: 105 USD, may vary for some programs
3. Official transcripts/ degrees from a recognized university
4. Test scores of required standardized exams
5. Letters of recommendation
6. Statement of Purpose
7. English language requirements
List Of Popular Programs At Cornell University
|Program||Deadline||Degree Requirement||GPA||Additional Requirements||Work Experience||Test Score Requirements||Application Portal & Fee|
|MBA||Round 1: Oct 8Round 2: Nov 5Round 3: January 8Round 4: Apr 8||UG degree from any recognized university||3.41||Resume, List of activities, goal statement, 2 essays, 1 LOR||Not mandatory; average work ex.: 2-5 years||GMAT (640 – 740) or GRE: 161 (Verbal), 159 (Quant); TOEFL/IELTS||SC Johnson College of Business: 200 USD|
|M. Eng. Electrical and Computer Engineering||Round 1: December 3Round 2: January 24||A 4-year bachelor’s in a relevant field||3.5||Resume, Personal statement, 2 LORs,||Not required||GRE: Optional; TOEFL/IELTS||Cornell Tech; 95 USD|
|LLM||Early Decision Round I: November 1; Early Decision Round II: January 8; Regular Decision: March 1||A 4-year bachelor’s in a relevant field||3.5||Statement of interest, resume, addendum (fitness, character, etc.), LOR||Not required||LSAT (160); TOEFL/IELTS||LSAC; 80 USD|
|Agriculture and Life Sciences||Fall: March 1; Spring: October 1||A 4-year bachelor’s in a relevant field||3.4||Resume, 2 LORs, SOP||Not required||GRE Not Required; TOEFL/IELTS||Cornell CALS; 105 USD|
FAQs About Cornell University Acceptance Rate, SAT/ACT Scores, GPA Requirements, etc.
Is A Writing Supplement Required For Admission At Cornell University?
If you are a first-year or transfer student then you have to provide a writing supplement. This is an admission requirement of Cornell University.
Is There Any Fee Required For Submitting The Supplemental International Students Form For Cornell University?
If you are an international student then you have to pay a 30 USD fee to cover the expenses of shipping of the I-20 or DS-2019 form.
What GPA Do You Need To Get Into Cornell?
Getting into Cornell university is very competitive. You should have a GPA of 4.00 or above to compete with other applicants. Moreover, you have to take lots of AP or IB classes to show your ability to excel in an academic challenge.
Is It Harder To Get Into Cornell Or UCLA?
If you consider the acceptance rate then it is harder to get into Cornell University. Cornell University has an acceptance rate of 8.7% compared to UCLA’s 16. 1%. So, it is almost 2 times harder to get into Cornell University.
Is Cornell Ivy League?
Yes, Cornell University is an Ivy league educational institute. In fact, it is the most educationally diverse university in the Ivy League as well as one of the most elite colleges in the world.
Last Updated on October 28, 2022 by Magalie D.
Magalie D. is a Diploma holder in Public Administration & Management from McGill University of Canada. She shares management tips here in MGTBlog when she has nothing to do and gets some free time after working in a multinational company at Toronto.