Adderall is a controlled drug in the USA and it is a prescription medicine to treat the symptoms of hyperactivity and for impulse control. This medicine contains a combination of amphetamine and dextroamphetamine therefore it is a very expensive drug. So, Adderall without insurance will cost you nearly $8 per tablet. Moreover, it will cost you around $240 per month for an initial dose of one 5 mg tablet once a day.
- Adderall was first introduced in the market in 1996 by a company named Shire Pharmaceuticals
- The main purpose of Adderall drug is to treat ADD/ADHD
- Adderall is a very expensive medicine and once-a-day ADHD drugs can cost you lots of money
- The cost of Adderall depends on various factors like the dosage, drug formulation (Adderall XR or IR), generic or brand-name
- Generic Adderall will cost you less than $25 a month compared to $240 for the brand Adderall
What Is Adderall?
Adderall is a combination drug and it contains amphetamine and dextroamphetamine. Adderall is a brand name but it’s also available in a generic form. It is a very effective medicine for ADHD and you must have a prescription to purchase Adderall or its generic. Adderall is a stimulant drug; therefore, it will speed up the messages traveling between the brain and the body. Usually, this medicine takes effect about 30-45 minutes after taking them and remains effective for at least 3 – 4 hours. Adderall preserves the level of two chemicals in the brain and helps you concentrate. The two chemicals are Dopamine and Norepinephrine. Dopamine plays a vital role in the function, motor control, and reinforcement of the brain. On the other hand, Norepinephrine works with adrenaline to increase the heart rate, blood pressure, and blood sugar levels. It provides an important role in the sleep cycle, attention, and focus.
According to Timothy Legg, PsyD, a faculty member for Walden University’s Master of Science in Nursing (MSN) program –
“Adderall is a medication that increases dopamine, it does the same for the neurotransmitter norepinephrine, which results in an overall enhancement of the effects of both dopamine and norepinephrine. By enhancing dopamine and norepinephrine action in certain brain regions, attention, concentration, executive function, and wakefulness are enhanced”
How Much Does Adderall Cost Without Insurance?
The cost of Adderall depends on various factors like the dosage, drug formulation (Adderall XR or IR), generic or brand name, and most importantly whether the patient has health insurance coverage or not. If the patient doesn’t have health insurance, then it will cost him/her more money compared to a patient with health insurance coverage. For example, if you don’t have health insurance then a 5 mg Adderall will cost you about $8 per tablet. However, generic drugs are typically much more affordable compared to brand-name drugs. With a single coupon, generic Adderall will cost you less than $25 a month compared to $240 for brand Adderall. So, it is quite clear that there is various variation available in Adderall costs, therefore the patient should speak to their healthcare provider about available options. If you don’t have insurance coverage then you can also consult with the doctor so that the doctor might recommend a cheaper alternative to Adderall like the generic Ritalin or generic Focalin.
This medicine is available in either immediate-release (IR) tablets or extended-release (XR) capsule formulations. Below are the dosages of Adderall –
|Prescribed use||Administration route||Initial dosage|
|ADHD in adults||Oral tablet or capsule||5 mg tablet once to twice daily (Adderall)20 mg capsule daily (Adderall XR)|
|Narcolepsy in adults||Oral tablet||10 mg tablet daily in the morning|
|ADHD in children aged 3-17||Oral tablet||2.5 mg tablet daily in the morning|
The above dosages might be increased by the doctor in 5 to 10 mg depending on if the doctor has found the optimal dosage. The overall dosages of the Adderall depend on the condition of the patient.
Side Effects Of Adderall
Adderall has some common side effects. They are –
1. Bladder or abdominal pain
2. Bloody or cloudy urine (UTI)
3. Difficult, burning, or painful urination
4. Fast, pounding, or irregular heartbeat or pulse
5. Frequent urge to urinate
6. Lower back or side pain
7. Weight loss
8. Dry mouth
12. Reduced libido
13. Shortness of breath
14. Loss of Appetite
How To Get Adderall Without Insurance
There are some effective ways available to save on Adderall or comparable ADHD medications. Let’s check them out!
1. Buy Generic Adderall
If you don’t have health insurance coverage then you should buy generic Adderall to save hundreds of dollars. Visit the nearest pharmacy and ask the pharmacist if amphetamine-dextroamphetamine is available.
2. Use A SingleCare Savings Card
This is a great way you can save money on Adderall. You can save up to 80% on prescription drugs using a SingleCare savings card. If you have a SingleCare savings card then you can look for Adderall or its generic on singlecare.com and show the coupon to the pharmacist when buying Adderall. In the USA, lots of pharmacies accept SingleCare savings cards including CVS Pharmacy, Walmart, Walgreens, etc.
|Pharmacy||Adderall Retail Price||Amphetamine-Dextroamphetamine Retail Price||Amphetamine-Dextroamphetamine SingleCare Price|
|Rite Aid Pharmacy||$640.20||$103.20||$40.34|
3. Apply To A Patient Assistance Program
Patient assistance programs (PAPs) are usually sponsored by pharmaceutical companies and they offer help for patients by providing prescribed medicine at a discounted rate or for free. There are some eligibility requirements available and they vary depending on the PAPs. Some common eligibility requirements for PAPs are –
1. May have insurance
2. Determined case by case
3. The patient must also be residing in the US.
4. Applicable drugs:
a. Adderall XR (amphetamine-dextroamphetamine) Capsule; Extended Release
b. Adderall (dextroamphetamine-amphetamine)
4. Change The Medicine
Finally, you can contact your doctor and ask the doctor to change the medicine or consider other options to treat ADHD or narcolepsy.
Generic ADHD Medications Cost
The nonexclusive ADHD medicine will cost you less and save lots of money. Here is the detail –
1. Amphetamine salt combo (nonexclusive Adderall) $85 to $120 for 60 tablets
2. Amphetamine salt combo XR (nonexclusive Adderall XR) $180 to $200 for 30 containers
3. Dexmethylphenidate (nonexclusive Focalin) $85 to $100 for 60 tablets
4. Dexmethylphenidate XR (nonexclusive Focalin XR) $200 for 30 containers
5. Methylphenidate ER (nonexclusive Concerta) $250 for 30 tablets
6. Methylphenidate (nonexclusive Ritalin) $75 to $90 for 60 tablets
Symptoms Of ADHD
Symptoms of ADHD vary depending on age, patient condition, etc. Let’s check them out!
Symptoms Of ADHD in Children and Teenagers
1. Having a short attention span
2. Making careless mistakes
3. Appearing forgetful or losing things
4. Constantly changing activity or task
5. Having difficulty organizing tasks
6. Being unable to sit still
7. Constantly fidgeting
8. Excessive physical movement
9. Excessive talking
10. Being unable to wait their turn
11. Acting without thinking
12. Interrupting conversations
13. Little or no sense of danger
Symptoms Of ADHD In Adults
1. Carelessness and lack of attention to detail
2. Continually starting new tasks before finishing old ones
3. Poor organizational skills
4. Inability to focus or priorities
5. Continually losing or misplacing things
7. Restlessness and edginess
8. Difficulty keeping quiet, and speaking out of turn
9. Blurting out responses and often interrupting others
10. Mood swings, irritability, and a quick temper
11. Inability to deal with stress
12. Extreme impatience
13. Taking risks in various activities
FAQs About How Much Is Adderall Without Insurance
How much does 30 mg Adderall cost without insurance?
If you don’t have insurance then 30 mg Adderall will cost you $113/month for brand. On the other hand, for Generic medicine, it will cost you $45/month.
How much is Adderall without insurance Walgreens?
If you want to buy Adderall without insurance from Walgreens then it will cost you around $16.28 for common dosages.
What is the cheapest pharmacy for Adderall?
Usually, the price of drugs in a pharmacy varies depending on the pharmacy location therefore it is very important to compare pharmacy prices to find out the chipset option to save money for Adderall. Costco is the cheapest pharmacy for Adderall.
Are there any Adderall alternatives?
Yes, there is an alternative available for Adderall. It is called Mydayis and it is a once-daily medication and its reaction will last for at least 16 hours.
Can I still get my Adderall without insurance?
Yes, you can get Adderall without health insurance. However, if you try to buy name-brand Adderall without insurance then it will cost you lots of money. It will cost you more than $200 for 30 capsules.
Last Updated on October 25, 2022 by Magalie D.
Magalie D. is a Diploma holder in Public Administration & Management from McGill University of Canada. She shares management tips here in MGTBlog when she has nothing to do and gets some free time after working in a multinational company at Toronto.