If you have State Farm auto insurance then you will be able to add new vehicles very easily. If you already have a car and bought another one then you don’t have to buy another auto insurance for your second car. You can add the second car to your Existing State Farm auto insurance online or by calling your insurance agent.
Jump To A Section
- 1 Key Takeaways
- 2 How to Add a Vehicle to an Existing State Farm Insurance Policy
- 3 What Types of Cars Can You Add to Your State Farm Policy?
- 4 FAQs about How do I Add a Vehicle to My State Farm Policy
- 4.1 How do I add a policy to my State Farm account?
- 4.2 Is it cheaper to add a car to an existing insurance policy?
- 4.3 Does adding a car to an existing insurance increase the premium?
- 4.4 Can I add a car that is not in my name to my insurance?
- 4.5 How many cars can I have on my insurance policy?
- 4.6 Will State Farm cancel the policy after 3 accidents?
- 4.7 Does State Farm give you a grace period?
- 4.8 Can you insure a car you don’t own in Texas?
- Adding a vehicle to a State Farm policy is very simple and you can do it by calling a State Farm insurance agent
- In order to add a new vehicle, you have to provide some information like the model of the vehicle, VIN number, owner’s name, etc.
- You can also add a vehicle to your State Farm auto insurance online and in order to do so you must have a State Farm online account
- You can add a new, used, or someone else’s car to your State Farm policy
How to Add a Vehicle to an Existing State Farm Insurance Policy
State Farm has a very simple process to add a new vehicle to existing auto insurance. You can call your insurance agent and tell him about your new vehicle. The insurance agent might want to know the following information –
- Model of the vehicle
- Year of made
- The Vehicle Identification Number (VIN)
- Name of the owner
- Name and address of LEI holder (if applicable), etc.
- Who will drive the car
- Social security number and driving license number of the person who will drive the card
After collecting all the above information, your insurance agent will do the rest of the paper works. You might have to provide some documents before the insurance agent can add the vehicle to your State Farm auto insurance policy.
You can also add a vehicle to your State Farm auto insurance online. To do so you will need a State Farm online account. If you don’t have a State Farm online account then first you have to register an account with State Farm. After registering your account, follow the below steps to add a new vehicle to your State Farm insurance policy –
- First, open a browser on your computer
- Now visit the State Farm official website
- Then log in to your State Farm account using your username and password
- Next, choose the policy where you want to add the new vehicle
- Then from the available options select “add a car or driver”
- After that, input the required information:
- Car details
- Car VIN
- Year of made
- Name of the owner, etc.
- Finally, you have to wait until an insurance agent approves your online request.
While adding a new vehicle to your existing coverage, you should keep in mind that you have to pay extra coverage for your newly added vehicle.
What Types of Cars Can You Add to Your State Farm Policy?
There are quite a few types of vehicles you can add to your State Farm policy. They are –
- A New Car: If you have bought a new card then you have a week to a month to add your newly purchased car to the policy. Here the coverage of your old car will be applied to your new car.
- A Used Car: If you have purchased a used car then you will also have a grace period of a week to a month to add the car to your existing policy.
- A Second Car: State Farm allows its customers to add second, third, or more cars to an existing State farm insurance policy. While updating your policy make sure you have all the required information on hand so that, you can easily update your insurance policy.
- Someone else’s Car: You can also add someone else’s car to your State Farm insurance policy. But to do so, you have to ensure that both of you live in the same permanent residence, and the vehicle is also kept at the same residence. Otherwise, you won’t be able to add another person’s car to your insurance policy.
FAQs about How do I Add a Vehicle to My State Farm Policy
How do I add a policy to my State Farm account?
There are three ways you can add a policy to your State Farm account –
- Call toll-free: 855-733-7333
- Find a State Farm insurance agent
- From your State Farm account online or via a mobile app
Is it cheaper to add a car to an existing insurance policy?
Yes, it is much cheaper to add a car to an existing insurance policy. But you should keep in mind that the premium for the second vehicle will be affected by the driving record of the primary driver.
Does adding a car to an existing insurance increase the premium?
Yes, adding a car to existing insurance will increase the premium of the insurance policy. But, most insurance companies provide a multi-car discount which will reduce the cost of adding another vehicle.
Can I add a car that is not in my name to my insurance?
Yes, you can add a car that is not in your name but there are some obligations. They are –
- Both car owners must live under the same permanent address
- Both cars must be kept at the same residence
How many cars can I have on my insurance policy?
The answer to this question depends on the insurance providers. There is no state law that limits the number of cars you can add to an insurance policy. Depending on the insurance company, you can add four or five vehicles to your insurance policy.
Will State Farm cancel the policy after 3 accidents?
Well, it totally depends on State Farm. After three accidents, State Farm can either terminate your policy completely or wait for the policy to be renewed. If State Farm terminates your policy then you might be subject to a cancellation fee.
Does State Farm give you a grace period?
Yes, State Farm will give you a grace period. In fact, State Farm will give you 10 days to make your payments. If you have any due payments then you have to clear them within the grace period.
Can you insure a car you don’t own in Texas?
Yes, according to the state law you will be able to ensure a car that you don’t own. However, to ensure a non-owner vehicle you have to meet the following requirements:
- You must have a valid driver’s license, or
- You can obtain a driving license within 30 days by getting car insurance
- You don’t own a vehicle
- You don’t have regular access to a vehicle that belongs to a household member
Last Updated on November 6, 2022 by Magalie D.
Magalie D. is a Diploma holder in Public Administration & Management from McGill University of Canada. She shares management tips here in MGTBlog when she has nothing to do and gets some free time after working in a multinational company at Toronto.