Business attire is considered as the appropriate clothing for the workplace. It’s the dress code or clothing that employees wear to work. Depending on the business and job, the appropriate attire can vary. Usually, business attire can contain many different types of clothing and they are appropriate in certain circumstances and inappropriate in others.
There are differences between the smart business attire of men and women. For men, smart business attire consists of a dress jacket, dress shirt, belt, tie, and a dress pant. Tailored clothing is preferred for the smart business attire of men. For women, smart business attire mostly consists of a blazer and dress. Pick a dress that has neutral colors and pair them with a nice handbag.
Jump To A Section
- 1 Different Types Of Business Attire
- 2 Traditional Business Attire
- 3 Smart-Casual Business Attire
- 4 Business Casual Attire
- 5 How Business Attire Works
- 6 Attire Guide For Business Job Interview
- 7 FAQs About Smart Business Attire
Different Types Of Business Attire
If you want to fit in a competitive workplace and gain respect from co-workers then you should follow the business dress code of your workplace. You don’t require a written dress code to get an idea; you can get a good sense of what’s appropriate at your workplace from the employees. There are three types of business attires available. They are:
1. Traditional Business Attire
2. Smart-casual Business Attire
3. Business Casual Attire
Traditional Business Attire
Formal Business Attire For Men
Typically, men are expected to wear a dark or neutral-colored suit with a tie and dress shoes. Here are other examples:
1. Dark or neutral-colored plain suit or pinstripe suit
2. White or light-colored collared shirt
3. Conservative tie
5. Leather belt
6. Dress shoes and plain socks
Formal Business Attire For Women
Formal business attire for women usually involves wearing a conservative suit with a plain collared shirt or blouse and smart shoes. Women can also wear:
1. Dark or neutral-colored suit
2. White or light-colored collared shirt or blouse
3. Skirt at knee-length or pants
4. Stockings or tights
5. Black or neutral-colored closed-toe smart shoes
Smart-Casual Business Attire
Smart Casual Business Attire For Men
This type of dress code is slightly less formal but men need to look professional and must wear well-tailored clothing like button-down collared shirts and a blazer or jacket. Here are other dress ideas:
1. A smart jacket or blazer
2. Button-down shirt in plain colors or patterns (no tie required)
3. Trousers or chinos
4. Brogues or oxfords
Smart Casual Business Attire For Women
When it comes to casual business attire for women, they should look neat and presentable. Women can wear brighter colors and bolder clothing. For example:
1. Coloured or patterned blouse
2. Bolder jewelry
3. Cardigan or casual blazer
4. Neat pants or skirt in different color combinations
5. Dress at knee length
6. Closed or open-toe smart shoes
Business Casual Attire
Business Casual Attire For Men
Many people think the casual dress code gives them free reign to show up to work wearing their favorite dresses like hoodies and sweatpants. But this is not the real concept of business casual attire. Wearing business attire means you should also look professional. Here are examples:
1. Neat t-shirt, casual collared shirt or jumper
2. Dark denim, chinos, or tailored shorts
3. Tasteful sneakers or loafers
Business Casual Attire For Women
The same goes for women when it comes to business casual attire. Women should stick to tidy t-shirts, jumpers or blouses, and dark denim or a well-fitted dress. Here are other examples:
1. Neat t-shirt, jumper, or blouse
2. Dark denim jeans, mid-length skirt or shorts
3. Tasteful sneakers or sandals
How Business Attire Works
Usually, business attire is written company dress code. A dress code tells the employee what is acceptable clothing and what is not. Business attire is not the same for all companies or all types of jobs. A company without a written dress code does not mean you can wear anything. Look at the senior professionals and other successful employees of the company and see what type of dress they wear. The observation will give you an idea about the proper and expected business attire for your workplace.
Attire Guide For Business Job Interview
1. First research the dress code of the company
2. If you found the dress code then try to follow it
3. Try to wear clothes that make you feel comfortable and confident
4. If you aren’t able to find the dress code then use your best judgment and don’t overthink it
5. Avoid revealing clothing
6. Choose your clothing according to the climate and season
7. Check for stains, snags, pet hairs, and holes in the clothes
8. Make sure clothing is pressed and wrinkle-free
FAQs About Smart Business Attire
1. What Is Considered As Business Professional Attire?
Business professional attire is a cross between business formal and business casual. In this type of attire, instead of wearing a full business suit, people wear dress pants and a collared shirt or blouse without a jacket or tie. Dress shoes are still mandatory in business professional attire.
2. What Are The Types Of Business Attire?
Here are different types of business attire available. They are:
2. Smart casual
3. Business casual
4. Business professional
5. Business formal
6. Gender-neutral professional dress
3. What Is The Best Color To Wear To An Interview?
For an interview, it’s best to wear colors that are natural like black, navy, gray, and brown. You can also wear a white color dress as it is also a natural color.
4. Is It Bad To Wear All Black To An Interview?
Black is a natural color so you can wear black in an interview however, all-black wearing to the interview could be viewed as too serious. So if you wear black then make sure there is another color near your face to soften the look.
5. Why Is Business Attire Important?
Many companies strictly follow business attire because it presents a visual image and sends a message that the employees are professional. Though some companies don’t have any written dress code but they follow professional business attire.
6. Are Jeans Businesses Casual?
Nowadays, jeans are considered as business casual though there some exceptions. Jeans are casual dresses but you can easily style them to suit an office environment. You can wear jeans pant with a button-down shirt and a sharp-looking jacket. This combination will transform an outfit from casual to business casual.
Last Updated on May 29, 2021 by Musa D