Getting into Virginia Tech Engineering is very hard because it is a selective college and its acceptance rate is 64.8%. So, for every 100 students, Virginia Tech Engineering accepts only 65 students. Moreover, it has some admission requirements as well. You must have a GPA score of at least 4.05 and an average SAT score of 1351 or higher. Your SAT Math score has to be more than 707 and your reading score should be 652 or higher.
- The Virginia Tech College of Engineering is the academic unit of Virginia Tech that manages engineering research and education programs
- Virginia Tech Engineering is the fifth largest producer of engineering graduates in the USA with more than 10,000 students
- Virginia tech engineering provides an innovative learning environment to help the students solve complex global problems through an interdisciplinary and experiential approach
- This college embraces a hands-on, minds-on approach to fully engage students in the learning experience
- There are 14 departments in Virginia Tech Engineering including Aerospace and Ocean Engineering, Biomedical Engineering and Mechanics, Chemical Engineering, etc.
Overview Of Virginia Tech Engineering
Virginia Tech Engineering is the fifth largest producer of engineering graduates in the USA. It is a 150 years old institute and the College can trace its origins to 1872. Currently, the College of Engineering is the largest academic unit of Virginia Tech with 14 departments of study. According to the U.S. News & World Report, Virginia Tech Engineering’s undergraduate program is ranked 4th and its graduate program is ranked 30th among doctoral-granting universities. Virginia Tech Engineering has more than 10,000 students and the current Dean of this college is Dr. Julia Ross. Here are some of the world rankings of Virginia Tech Engineering –
- #25 in Best Global Universities (tie)
- #178 in Agricultural Sciences
- #248 in Arts and Humanities
- #394 in Biology and Biochemistry (tie)
- #152 in Biotechnology and Applied Microbiology (tie)
- #187 in Chemical Engineering (tie)
- #233 in Chemistry (tie)
- #84 in Civil Engineering
- #584 in Clinical Medicine (tie)
- #109 in Computer Science (tie)
- #199 in Economics and Business
- #55 in Electrical and Electronic Engineering
- #187 in Energy and Fuels
- #86 in Engineering
- #172 in Environment/Ecology
- #200 in Food Science and Technology
- #151 in Geosciences (tie)
- #253 in Materials Science
- #182 in Mathematics (tie)
- #165 in Microbiology
- #257 in Molecular Biology and Genetics (tie)
- #343 in Neuroscience and Behavior
- #285 in Physical Chemistry (tie)
- #471 in Physics (tie)
- #111 in Plant and Animal Science
- #263 in Psychiatry/Psychology (tie)
- #205 in Public, Environmental and Occupational Health (tie)
- #162 in Social Sciences and Public Health (tie)
- #245 in Space Science
Departments Of Virginia Tech Engineering
There are 14 departments in Virginia Tech Engineering, they are –
1. Aerospace and Ocean Engineering
2. Biological Systems Engineering
3. Biomedical Engineering and Mechanics
4. Chemical Engineering
5. Civil and Environmental Engineering
6. Computer Science
7. Electrical and Computer Engineering
8. Engineering Education
9. Industrial and Systems Engineering
10. Materials Science and Engineering
11. Mechanical Engineering
12. Mining and Minerals Engineering
13. Myers-Lawson School of Construction
14. School of Biomedical Engineering & Sciences
List Of Virginia Tech Majors
1. Agricultural Economics
2. Business/Managerial Economics
3. Computer Science
4. Dairy Science
5. Engineering Mechanics
6. Family and Consumer Sciences
7. German Language and Literature
8. Horticultural Science
9. Industrial and Product Design
10. Landscape Architecture
12. Ocean Engineering
14. Real Estate
16. Speech Communication and Rhetoric
Virginia Tech Engineering Acceptance Rate
Day by day the admission process of Virginia Tech Engineering is becoming harder. During the 2016 – 17 admissions cycle, Virginia Tech had an acceptance rate of 70%. The acceptance rate was the same for the 2017 – 18 academic calendar. It decreased to 66.3% for 2018 – 19 academic years. In 2019 – 2020 Virginia Tech Engineering had an acceptance rate of 70.0% however this number decreased in 2021-2022 and now the acceptance rate is 64.8%. The acceptance rate of Virginia Tech Engineering is twenty-three percent higher than the national average of all colleges. The average acceptance rate of all national colleges is around 56.7%. Below is the number of applicants, percent accepted and enrolled students for Fall, 2020 –
Virginia Tech Admission Requirements
If you want to get admitted to Virginia Tech Engineering then you have to fulfill some requirements. Some key requirements are –
2. SAT and ACT Requirements
3. Application Requirements
The first requirement you have to meet is the GPA score; in fact, it is the basic requirement for any kind of admission to avoid being rejected immediately. For Virginia Tech you should have a GPA score of 4.04 or higher to be able to compete with other applicants. Moreover, the AP or IB courses must prove that the academic level at the university level is very easy. If your GPA score is below 4.04 then you need a higher SAT or ACT value to compensate. This way you will be able to compete against other applicants with a higher average than you. Virginia Tech Engineering also requires SAT and ACT scores. Below is the overview of SAT requirements –
|Section||Average||25th Percentile||75th Percentile|
|Reading + Writing||640||590||680|
The average ACT score of Virginia Tech is 28. So, it makes Virginia Tech moderately competitive for ACT scores. Moreover, the 25th percentile ACT score is 25, and the 75th percentile ACT score is 31. According to Virginia Tech, they don’t have any ACT minimum requirement but if you have an Act score of 25 or below then you’ll have a harder time getting into Virginia Tech.
Virginia Tech Engineering Admission Process
Virginia Tech Engineering is a very competitive college with a very selective admission process. that admits up to two-third of the applicants into the school. If you fulfill all the admission requirements then you have to submit a written admission with a recommendation. Some requirements for first-year applicants are –
1. 18 units of high-school coursework
2. 4 units of English
3. 3 units of math (includes algebra I, geometry, and algebra II)
4. 2 units of laboratory science (chosen from biology, chemistry, or physics)
5. 2 units of social science (one must be history)
6. 3 additional academic units (foreign language is highly recommended)
7. 4 elective units
Moreover, Virginia Tech Engineering also considers factors such as race, leadership, first-generation condition, service, and inherited status in the application review process.
List of Centers, Institutes, and Laboratories Associated with Virginia Tech Engineering
|The Advanced Research in Information Assurance and SecurityAdvanced Vehicle Dynamics LaboratoryBaker Environmental Hydraulics LaboratoryCenter of Advanced Separation TechnologyCenter for Automotive Fuel Cell SystemsCenter for Bridge EngineeringCenter for e-DesignCenter for Embedded Systems for Critical ApplicationsCenter for Energy and the Global EnvironmentCenter for Energy Harvesting Materials and SystemsCenter for Energy Systems ResearchNEXTOR Center for Excellence in Aviation Operations ResearchCenter for Geospatial Information TechnologyCenter for Geotechnical Practice and ResearchCenter for High-End Computing SystemsCenter for High-Performance ManufacturingCenter for Human Computer InteractionCenter for Injury Biomechanics||Center for Innovation in Construction Safety and HealthCenter for Intelligent Material Systems and StructuresCenter for Naval SystemsCenter for Photonics TechnologyCenter for Power Electronics SystemsCenter for Power and EnergyCenter for Space Science and Engineering ResearchCenter for Tire ResearchCenter for Total Maximum Daily Load and Watershed StudiesCenter for Turbomachinery & Propulsion ResearchCenter for Vehicle Systems and SafetyCommonwealth Center for Aerospace & Propulsion SystemsEXTREME LabHume Center for National Security and TechnologyInnovative Particulate Materials LaboratoryInstitute for Critical Technology and Applied ScienceLab for Advanced Scientific Computing and ApplicationsMacromolecules and Interfaces Institute||Multidisciplinary Analysis and Design Center for Advanced VehiclesMultifunctional Integrated Circuits and Systems GroupNational Institute of AerospaceOccupational Safety and Health Research CenterPerformance Engineering Research LabRenewable Materials Research GroupRotor Dynamics LaboratorySoftware Technologies LaboratorySyNeRGY LabTechnology, Open Organizing, and Learning Sciences LabVibrations and Acoustics LaboratoriesVIPER Services Steve SouthwardVirginia Active Combustion Control GroupVirginia Center for Autonomous SystemsVirginia Tech Advanced Research InstituteVirginia Center for Coal and Energy ResearchVirginia Tech Center for Engineering CommunicationsVirginia Tech Transportation Institute|
FAQs About Virginia Tech Engineering Acceptance Rate, SAT/ACT Scores, GPA Requirements, etc.
What Are The Fees Of Virginia Tech Engineering?
Below are the fees for incoming students in specific programs at Virginia Tech Engineering –
1. Engineering: $2,000 per year
2. Architecture and design: $1,500 per year
3. Building construction: $1,500 per year
4. Business: $75 per credit hour)
5. Agriculture: $750 per year
Can I Get Into Virginia Tech With A 3.3 GPA?
Getting into Virginia Tech is very competitive and every year lots of students with high GPAs apply for this college. Moreover, the average GPA of admitted students for Fall 2020 was 3.95. So, it will be difficult to get into Virginia Tech with a 3.3 GPA.
How Prestigious Is Virginia Tech Engineering?
Virginia Tech engineering is very prestigious and is ranked among the world’s elite institutions in 21 of the 46 subjects and in all five broad fields evaluated in the latest QS World University Ratings by Subject. Its minerals and mining engineering program were ranked No. 39!
Is Virginia Tech A Tier 1 School?
Yes, Virginia Tech is a Tier 1 school. It is a public university and locates within the state of Virginia. It receives a Tier 1 ranking by “U.S. News.” And it has over 23,000 undergraduate students.
How Many Students Are In Virginia Tech Engineering?
Currently, 10,059 students are studying in Virginia Tech engineering.
Last Updated on October 19, 2022 by Magalie D.
Magalie D. is a Diploma holder in Public Administration & Management from McGill University of Canada. She shares management tips here in MGTBlog when she has nothing to do and gets some free time after working in a multinational company at Toronto.