Facebook Marketplace doesn’t require a business license to sell on Facebook. But, if your country requires a license to sell products online then you will need a business license to sell your products on Facebook Marketplace. So, it depends totally on your country’s law whether you will need a license or not.
- “Facebook Marketplace” allows people to buy and sell various types of products online
- Facebook Marketplace was launched on Oct 13, 2016 and since then it has been considered as an alternative to eBay, Amazon, etc.
- Through Facebook Marketplace you will be able to contact the buyer or seller to arrange transactions
- Facebook policy doesn’t make it mandatory to have a business license to sell on Facebook Marketplace
What Is Facebook Marketplace?
Facebook Marketplace is a digital platform from Facebook, where Facebook users can buy and sell products according to their requirements. Facebook Marketplace was launched on Oct 13, 2016, but it is nothing like the online shopping platforms/e-commerce platforms like Amazon and eBay. Basically, Facebook is a social media platform where people share their stories, funny, sad, educational, as well as motivational experiences with their friends and family. But, now people also can use the Facebook Marketplace to buy, sell, and trade items with other people in their area. In fact, many people are now considering Facebook Marketplace as an alternative to eBay and Amazon because of the simplicity of this platform. Facebook Marketplace allows a user to:
1. Search products to buy
2. List items for sale by category and/or location
3. Create an item listing and add product images to that listing
4. View the previous and current transactions as well as messages with the clients from the “Your Items” section
5. Set custom bids for items
6. Contact the buyer or seller to arrange transactions
Is It Mandatory To Have A Business License To Sell On Facebook Marketplace?
Facebook is a global thing so the requirement of a business license depends on the law of the country from where the user is selling the products. Though, there are few products like real estate, liquor, mortgage loan products, food, and beverage, etc. that might require inspection or testing from Facebook. Moreover, if you are selling digital products then you won’t require any license. If you are not sure whether your country requires a business license to sell on Facebook then you should consult with a legal consultant. It will help you to know about your country’s policy on selling goods on online platforms like the Facebook Marketplace.
How To Sell On Facebook Marketplace?
Selling products on Facebook Marketplace is very easy. If you want to sell a product on Facebook then you have to list the product on Facebook Marketplace. While listing the product you have to upload the product’s photo and description accurately. Now follow the below steps:
1. First, open the Facebook app and log in to your account
2. Now, click on the Marketplace form the available options
3. Then click on the “+ Create New Listing” to list an item
4. From the available options, click on the “item for sale”
5. Now click on the Add Photos to upload a photo of the item that you want to sell
6. Then provide the info about your item
7. Next, set the price, if you want to mark the item free then you have to enter 0 as the price
8. Click on the Next button
9. Finally, click on the Publish button to complete the process
Types Of Items That You Can Sell On Facebook
In Facebook Marketplace you can sell everything as long as they are legal and not alcohol or firearms. You can sell clothes, fashion accessories, electronic products, gadgets, home appliances, personal care, and hygiene products, Sports items, children’s items, furniture, handmade items, vehicles, property, and many more.
Types Of Items That Aren’t Allowed To Sell On Facebook
The list of selling items on Facebook will go on but there are a few things that Facebook doesn’t allow its users to sell on Facebook Marketplace. They are:
1. Anything that really is not a physical product like selling jokes, etc.
2. Selling various services on the marketplace is not allowed like house cleaning service, etc.
3. If the photo and the description of the listed product don’t match then you won’t be able to sell it
4. You can’t sell animals on Facebook Marketplace; it also includes posting about animals for adoption
5. Healthcare-related items aren’t allowed to sell on Facebook Marketplace
6. Products like illegal drugs, adult products, tobacco, etc. are not allowed to sell on Facebook Marketplace
FAQs About Do I Need A Business License To Sell On Facebook
1. How Long Does It Take To Approve A Listing On Facebook Marketplace?
Usually, it takes 24 hours to approve a listing on Facebook Marketplace. When you submit a listing, the Facebook Marketplace moderators will check your product and see if it meets all the requirements. Then they approve the listing and the product becomes available to purchase by the consumers.
2. Can You Get A Facebook Marketplace Without A Facebook Account?
There is no way you can get a Facebook marketplace without a Facebook account. This feature is only available for Facebook account holders so if you want to access the Facebook Marketplace then you must have an account on Facebook.
3. Do I Need A Business License To Sell Crafts On Facebook?
If you are required by the law of your country to have a business license to sell handmade items then you will need a business license to sell crafts on Facebook.
4. Can I Sell Online Without A Business License?
If you are selling random used items of yours then you won’t require a business license. However, if you are selling products from your business then you will need a business license to sell products online.
5. Do You Need A License To Sell Clothes On Facebook?
You won’t require a license to sell clothes on Facebook if you are only listing a few clothes or if you are selling items with non-shoppable posts. However, if you are selling clothes on behalf of your business then depending on your country’s law you might require a business license.
6. Can I Sell Homemade Crafts On Facebook?
Yes, you can sell homemade items on Facebook. All types of homemade items are allowed to sell on Facebook.
7. Is It Legal To Sell Things On Facebook?
Yes, it is completely legal to sell things on Facebook as long as you aren’t selling anything illegal.
8. Does Facebook Marketplace Take A Fee?
No. Unlike other marketplaces, Facebook is completely free to use and it doesn’t charge any fees to list a product.
9. What Is The Age Limit For The Facebook Marketplace?
There is an age limit for Facebook Marketplace. You have to be at least 18 years old to buy and sell products on Facebook Marketplace.
10. How Do I Mark An Item As Sold On Facebook Marketplace?
Once your product is sold then you can easily mark it as sold. If you want to mark your listing as sold then you have to click on the Market from your Facebook feed. Then you have to select “Your Account” from the left menu. Now you will see all your listings of yours. Now select the listing that you want to mark and then click “Mark As Sold” next to the listing. Once you mark the listing as sold, the buyer will get a notification and be able to rate you as a seller.
Last Updated on October 28, 2022 by Magalie D.
Magalie D. is a Diploma holder in Public Administration & Management from McGill University of Canada. She shares management tips here in MGTBlog when she has nothing to do and gets some free time after working in a multinational company at Toronto.