Event planners handle a multitude of tasks with one goal in mind: to make the event successful. That being said, an Even planner also has various other responsibilities. An event planner has to take care of all aspects of an event or meeting. Moreover, the event planner has to take care of theme ideas, event budgets, event venue, managing logistics, etc. Maintaining professional partnerships with vendors and caterers is also a very important responsibility of an event planner.
- The Event Planner is responsible for overseeing the planning, coordination, and execution of events
- The event planners meet with the clients to discuss the event budget, venue, total number of guests, food menu, and other important aspects of the event
- Maintaining the coordination between the subordinates is a very significant role of an event planner
- An event planner has to maintain a close relationship with the vendors to ensure that they are properly executing their roles
- Finally, an event planner has to analyze the event and make a report after the event is held
List of Top 10 Responsibilities of an Event Planner
In this article, I listed the top 10 responsibilities of an event planner:
1. Work closely with their client, and manage all aspects related to the event planning process which could include:
a. Collaborating with subcontractors
b. Identifying venue
c. Developing menu
d. Printing and designing of materials
e. Tracking budget
2. Work under the budget parameters set by the client. Solicits bids from caterers and local venues. Then, he/she hires the skilled ones in conjunction with the budget.
3. Contract for transporting and lodging services for guests. Offer additional information on accommodation facilities in case of an event lasting for several days.
4. Work closely with the client to determine the venue. After creating a list of potential venues, inspect the venues to make sure they meet the client’s demands.
5. Communicate with on-site staff and develop a network that could make each community event a successful and easy one.
6. Confer with managers of several departments within the company. Collaborate with local community groups.
7. During the event, supervise the setup for the event. Manage the use of equipment such as video screens and sound systems. Arrange means to keep the host and guests satisfied and entertained.
8. Select featured speakers for seminars if required. Send invitations several days prior to the event. Confirm and announce their presence. Make sure the event progresses as planned and stays on schedule. Prepare and cue the featured performers and speakers.
9. Have excellent communication competence in both written and verbal form and communicate fluently with everyone involved.
10. Have marketing skills to encourage guests to attend the event. Be knowledgeable about the product being launched or business grand openings. Attend community functions to build a network, identify potential opportunities, and capitalize on those opportunities.
Event Planner Job Description (Top 12 Duties)
The Event Planner is responsible for overseeing the planning, coordination, and execution of events. This includes developing an event strategy and timeline in close collaboration with the client, creating a detailed event plan with timelines and budgets, managing day-to-day logistics for the event, and overseeing the execution of the event.
1. Develop a detailed event plan with timelines and budgets
2. Manage day-to-day logistics for the event
3. Oversee execution of the event
4. Ensure that all vendors are on time and have what they need to execute their roles in the production of the event
5. Work closely with the client to ensure that all needs are met
6. Coordinate and manage events in the company or client’s space
7. Coordinate with vendors and clients to ensure all needs are met for events
8. Oversee event logistics including catering, entertainment, venue selection, set up, staffing, etc.
9. Develop budgets for events and oversee budgets during the event process
10. Manage event planners or contracted employees in order to achieve goals
11. Plan each event by determining the guest list, meeting room layout, food choices, entertainment options, etc.
12. Execute the plan by ensuring all needs are met at the event location on time
1. Minimum of N years experience as an Event Planner or Catering Manager
2. Strong organizational skills with attention to detail
The responsibilities section of an event planner is involved in coordinating all aspects of professional events and meetings. What does an event planner do? Learn his/her responsibilities and duties from this article.
Last Updated on October 1, 2022 by Magalie D.
Magalie D. is a Diploma holder in Public Administration & Management from McGill University of Canada. She shares management tips here in MGTBlog when she has nothing to do and gets some free time after working in a multinational company at Toronto.