Currently, Capital One doesn’t allow combining credit limits of two credit cards. If you have two credit card accounts then you can only link the credit card accounts by grouping them together under the same login details. But, this doesn’t combine the credit limits of the two cards. So, you can either request a credit limit increase or check whether you can be eligible for a credit card upgrade.
Jump To A Section
- 1 Key Takeaways
- 2 What is a Credit Card Limit Transfer?
- 3 Reasons for Transferring a Credit Limit to another Card
- 4 Can You Combine Two Capital One Credit Cards and their Limits?
- 5 Alternative to Combining Credit Limits with Capital One
- 6 FAQs about How Do I Combine Capital One Credit Card Limits
- Combining credit cards is a process that allows a credit card holder to merge balances and credit limits of two or more cards
- With credit card limit transfer, you will be able to transfer a portion or all the credit limits of a credit card to another
- You should keep in mind that a credit card limit transfer is not the same thing as a balance transfer
- If you have a good credit history then you can easily increase the credit limit of your credit card
What is a Credit Card Limit Transfer?
A credit card limit transfer is a method that allows you to transfer a portion or all the credit limits of a credit card to another. For example, if you have a credit card with a limit of $4000 and another credit card with a limit of $2500 then you can combine these two cards into one and you will have a new credit card with a credit limit of $6500. After that, you can close a credit card without losing the available credit associated with that account.
Moreover, if you want then you can also transfer a portion of the credit limit of one of your credit cards to another. According to the above example, let’s say you want to transfer a $2000 credit limit from your first credit card to the 2nd one. So, the new credit limit of your second credit card will be $4500 and the credit limit of your first credit card will be $2000. Many credit cardholders want to combine their credit cards to take advantage of a top rewards credit card. On the other hand, some people transfer a portion of their credit limit to increase the purchasing power of their primary credit card. This is another key reason people want to transfer credit limits.
Before transferring a credit limit you should understand that a credit card limit transfer is not the same thing as a balance transfer. When you transfer funds from one card to another then basically, you are transferring the money. On the other hand, when you transfer the credit limit, basically you transfer the purchasing power from one card to another.
Reasons for Transferring a Credit Limit to another Card
There are many reasons people want to transfer a credit limit to another credit card. Some common reasons are –
- Increase the purchasing power of their primary credit card
- Increase the credits of a card that gives offers better rewards
- Combine two lines of credits before canceling a credit card
Can You Combine Two Capital One Credit Cards and their Limits?
Unfortunately, Capital One currently doesn’t allow its users to combine two Capital One credit cards and their limits. A few years, ago it was possible to transfer or combine credit limits but now it’s not possible. So, if you are planning to combine two Capital One credit cards to get rewards or want to close an old Capital One account without hurting your credit score then you have to think of another plan. So, if you want to increase your purchasing power then you might consider requesting a credit card limit increase instead. If you have a good credit history then you can easily increase the credit limit of your credit card. Moreover, you can also apply for a new Capital One credit card and get a new line of credit. On the other hand, if you have an old credit card then you can keep the credit card open by recurring monthly payments for your Netflix account or your gym membership.
Alternative to Combining Credit Limits with Capital One
So, we already know that there is no way you can combine the credit limits of two Capital One credit cards, so let’s see what are the alternatives that you can apply to increase your purchasing power or get a signup bonus –
- If you have good credit history then you can request a credit limit increase.
- You can also consider applying for a co-branded credit card. If you are a loyal Capital One customer then you can apply for Capital One’s co-branded cards like the BuyPower Card. The best parts of Cobranded cards are they don’t have two card limits.
- You can also try to change your product. Capital One Bank allows its users a product change on one of two cards.
- Finally, you can apply for a credit card from another company. Obtaining a new credit card might get you a lower APR and offer you a solid reward program.
FAQs about How Do I Combine Capital One Credit Card Limits
Can you combine Capital One credit lines?
No, you won’t be able to combine your capital with one credit line. A few years, back, Capital One did allow its customers to combine credit lines but Capital One no longer lets its customers merge credit limits.
Can I combine all my credit cards into one?
The answer to this question depends on your card issuing company. You can call your card issuing company and ask them whether it is possible to combine all your credit cards into one. You should understand that just because you want to combine all your cards doesn’t mean the company will allow you to do that!
Does combining credit cards hurt credit?
Well, the answer to this question depends on quite a few things. Combining two credit cards means you have to keep one credit card and close another one. So, if you close one of your oldest credit cards then it will shorten your credit history and can affect your credit score.
Do other credit card issuers allow credit card combining?
No, Capital One was the only credit card issuing company that allowed its customers to combine two credit cards. However, they also stopped this feature a few years back.
Can you merge two credit cards?
No, there is no way you can merge two credit cards even if the two cards were issued by the same company. But, you are allowed to balance transfer from one credit card to another. It means you can move the balance of one credit card to another.
Last Updated on November 12, 2022 by Magalie D.
Magalie D. is a Diploma holder in Public Administration & Management from McGill University of Canada. She shares management tips here in MGTBlog when she has nothing to do and gets some free time after working in a multinational company at Toronto.