Information management systems deal with technology, processes, and also humans. The idea here is that humans undergo certain processes to collate information with the use of technology. These usually come in handy in various organizations. Therefore, it is not wrong to say that information management systems are helpful in the successful running of any business or organization.
- Some common examples of Information Management Systems are human resource management systems, accounting and finance systems, executive information systems, etc.
- In Information Management Systems, accountability refers to taking responsibility for actions and decisions
- With the help of Information Management Systems, you can create databases for an organization
- Thanks to Information Management Systems, you will be able to keep the records systematically thus easily make the decesions
Below Is A Table Showing Some Essential Terms In Information Management Systems And Their Meanings:
|Accountability||The actual meaning of accountability also relates to the information management systems context as it refers to taking responsibility for actions and decisions.|
|Digital Divide||It means that there are differences between various regions and social groups when it concerns their accessibility to the internet and other digital connections.|
|Model||When you decide to use something to represent ideas, the representation is called a model.|
|Record||When different related fields come together, you can refer to them as records.|
|WebMaster||A webmaster is someone in charge of the business website.|
|Web bugs||These are those tiny graphic files that you can send out to monitor people’s internet user behaviors.|
Benefits Of Information Management Systems
Recall that we had earlier mentioned that you would typically use information management systems in an organizational context. But, you may be wondering about its streamlined benefits.
Some of these benefits are:
1. Record Database: When working in an organization, you will come across various files, and there is always a need to arrange them. Typically, one may get a folder to arrange all these files, but will that be helpful in the long run? However, if you employ information management systems, you will have records of these files systematically arranged. Therefore, you can always refer to them, and it allows you to have a database. In addition, you will realize that work-life gets easier when you have everything arranged accordingly, and it reduces the chances of making mistakes. Information management systems come as a rescue to many organizations.
2. Allows The Company To Level Up: Yes, we know that you may be confused about what we mean by information management systems letting a company level up. But, allow us to explain. When talking about leveling up, information management systems improve certain aspects, allowing them to be at par with competitors. It works because the company now has organized information and reports about various aspects of running the business, and they can spot their flaws when they work with this information. Thus, they strive to do better and correct these mistakes. In no time, the business skyrockets to a higher and more desirable level.
3. It Eases The Process Of Decision-Making: Everyone will agree that it is easier to make decisions when information is arranged systematically. But, when things are disorganized, it affects your thought process. Sometimes, you will need to refer to some files before you can make certain decisions. But, what happens when you cannot find these files? Of course, it delays the decision-making process. For example, suppose you had to make an important decision to secure a gig or contact. But, you had to delay because you could not find some files. Of course, your competitors will overtake you. After all, time does not wait for any man. Therefore, the use of information management systems is important for decision-making.
Information Management Systems Examples And Applications
Human Resource: An organization can use information management systems in its human resource department for various things. Undoubtedly, payment is essential for all employees, and information management systems can help organize the payroll. It also comes in handy in monitoring the leave days of the employees. For example, suppose you run a large organization. Thus, it would be hard to manually keep track of the leave days of all your employees. But, it is made easier with the use of information management systems. In addition, you can use information management systems to collate resumes and fast-track the process, even during the recruitment process. Many HRs see information management systems as a heavenly tool. Many people say that the HR department holds an organization together, and they are not wrong. But, it also lets you know that it is a lot of work and burden. Therefore, there is always a need to employ the use of systems that can make work easier. Work is only enjoyable when there is ease.
Process Control: If you are in an organization that deals with processes, information management systems will come in handy to monitor these processes. For example, you deal with the assembling of machines. Therefore, you need to keep track of these steps as you need to turn them into reports. It may be challenging going around each department to note the processes. But, it is less stressful when using information management systems. Now, you are sure of not missing any vital process, and you can have a comprehensive report. Therefore, it is not out to place to say that information management systems enhance effectiveness. Now, you will agree that it would not make sense if you cannot account for these processes as a manager. It may even lead to the loss of your job. But when you start using information management systems, you will shine bright and impress the business owner. It may even open bigger doors for you.
Finance: Those working in the finance department will agree that they deal with a lot of documentation, which sometimes gets overwhelming. But no matter how overwhelming it gets, they have to ensure that the balance sheet is balanced at the end of the day. So, it comes in handy to have software that allows you to arrange the necessary bill and documents. For example, the receipts and purchase orders can be documented with information management systems. So, even if you encounter challenges while balancing the balance sheet, you can always refer to these documents. Now, there will be no loopholes in the financial statements anymore. We see that some accountants spend long hours in the office trying to reconcile accounts. Imagine staying until nighttime at the office even when others have left. We know that you do not want this to happen. But, sadly, it will be the situation if you do not employ the use of information management systems.
Local Databases: Shifting away from the organizational structure, did you know that cities can also use information management systems? Yes, it is possible, and you can see it in the collation of databases. For example, in some urban cities, you will see that they have a phone book with the phone number of all its residents. Of course, getting such information would not be easy. But if they employ information management systems, they can organize the information in a less stressful way. So, if you are trying to arrange a database for your city, region, or community, the best thing to do is use information management systems. Even schools can make you of information management systems to have a database. In this case, it could be having parents’ records in cases of emergency. Also, you are creating a database when you try to create an email list as a business owner. So, you can see that information management system come in handy for database creation in many ways.
Inventory: How do you keep track of commodities in your warehouse? The manual method has always been in place, but it is not always effective. Running a warehouse can be tasking, but it gets when you cannot keep track of things. Therefore, increasing the chances of theft and much more. If you do not know the exact number of each commodity, your workers might want to play a fast one on you. So, it would be best to engage the services of information management systems as it helps you record everything with ease. In addition, you get to have peace of mind and spend less. People say that you have 50% off your work as a warehouse owner when you can figure out a system that checks your products and commodities. Suppose you were not aware before; you now know that an information management system is the tool you can use.
Some frequently asked questions about information management systems are:
Is A Computer An Information System?
Yes, it is not wrong to refer to a computer as an information system as it is an information component. It is an essential aspect of technology that makes the processing of information easier. In society today, it is rare to see an organization that does not use a computer.
What Are The 3 Types Of Information Systems?
You can break down information systems into three levels which you can also describe as their types. They are operational-level systems, management-level systems, and strategic-level systems. These levels have their different functions, as the names imply.
The next time you have a conversation with someone about information management systems, you now have adequate information to present, and you can even give examples. So, start applying the usage of this software to enjoy ease.
Last Updated on November 14, 2022 by Magalie D.
Magalie D. is a Diploma holder in Public Administration & Management from McGill University of Canada. She shares management tips here in MGTBlog when she has nothing to do and gets some free time after working in a multinational company at Toronto.