Yes, you can buy a money order with a debit card. In fact, all financial service providers accept cash or debit cards as a payment solution for a money order. It means you can buy a money order with a debit card. However, not all financial service providers accept credit cards as payment for money orders.
Jump To A Section
- 1 Key Takeaways
- 2 What Is Money Order?
- 3 From Where You Can Buy Money Order With A Debit Card
- 4 Required Information To Fill Out A Money Order Form
- 5 How To Buy A Money Order With Debit Card
- 6 How To Fill Out A Money Order
- 7 FAQs About Can You Buy A Money Order With A Debit Card?
- 7.1 1. Can You Buy A Money Order With A Debit Card At Walmart?
- 7.2 2. Are Money Orders Safe?
- 7.3 3. Can I Buy A Money Order With A Debit Card At CVS?
- 7.4 3. Can You Buy A Money Order With A Check?
- 7.5 4. Can You Buy A Money Order With A Debit Card At 7-Eleven?
- 7.6 5. Where Can You Cash A Money Order?
- 7.7 6. Does Walgreens Do Money Orders?
- 7.8 7. Can You Buy A Money Order With A Debit Card At Kroger?
- 7.9 8. Do You Need ID To Buy A Money Order?
- 7.10 9. Can I Buy A Money Order With A Debit Card At Western Union?
- A money order is one of the safest ways of sending money to someone
- You can buy a money order from banks, financial institutes, government agencies, post offices, etc.
- In the USA, you can buy a money order using a debit card from retail stores, banks, credit unions, U.S. postal service, etc.
- The fees for USPS money order is $1.25 for amounts up to $500 and $1.75 for amounts between $500.01 and $1,000
- You might have to pay between $5 to $10 as fees while buying money orders from a bank or financial institute
What Is Money Order?
A money order is a type of pre-paid payment order for a specific amount of money. It’s a more trusted payment method than a check. Usually, a money order is issued by the government, post office, bank, financial institutes, etc. A valid money order allows the stated payee to receive cash on demand. People who don’t have standard checking accounts can send and receive money via money order. A money order can be a valid payment solution for personal and business debts, service fees, and many more. The first money order was issued by American Express in 1882.
From Where You Can Buy Money Order With A Debit Card
In most cities and towns you have multiple options to buy a money order with a debit card. However, when you are planning to buy a money order with a debit card you have to ensure your card has a sufficient balance. Some of the common places to buy a money order with a debit card are –
1. Retail Stores
2. Banks and Credit Unions
3. U.S. Postal Service
4. Money Stores
In the USA, many retail stores offer money orders. You can buy money orders from grocery stores, big-box stores, pharmacies, and convenience stores. When you are out looking for a place to buy a money order, find retail stores that have a MoneyGram or Western Union logo at them. Usually, CVS, Kmart, Safeway, Publix, Kroger, Meijer, and 7-Eleven provide MoneyGram or Western Union money order service. The fees of purchasing money orders might vary depending on the stores. For example, Walmart charges only 88 cents for a money order. Depending on the stores the charge might be $1 to $2 per money order.
Banks And Credit Unions
A bank is an excellent place to buy a money order with a debit card. Usually, banks charges the fees from the account of the user and the fee is usually about $5 to $10. However, if you are a VIP account holder then you might enjoy a free money order service. If you consider the charge then buying from a bank will cost you more than buying money orders from other sources. The charge might not be a concern for you if you occasionally buy a money order. But, if you frequently buy money orders then the bank won’t be the best place for you to buy it. The only benefit you can get from the bank or credit union is better customer service.
U.S. Postal Service
The USPS is another great place to buy a money order with a debit card. Buying money orders from the postal service is safer than buying from other places. However, buying a money order from USPS can be a hassle because not all post offices offer a money order service. So you have to find out which post office near you offers the service. You can call the post office to confirm. The USPS money order can cost you $1.25 for amounts up to $500 and $1.75 for amounts between $500.01 and $1,000.
There are many money stores available that provide money order services. You can buy a money order from Western Union agents, payday loan shops, and other money transfer services. Many websites offer online money order services but it can be a risk to buy money orders online because they can be a scam. So it is better you walk to the nearest money store and buy a money order with your debit card.
Required Information To Fill Out A Money Order Form
What type of information is required to fill out a money order form depends on the organization that issues the money order. There might be a difference between the money order forms of different organizations. So some common information you will need to fill out a money order form are –
1. Name of payee
2. Payee’s address
3. Payment amount
4. Your name and address
5. Reason of the payment or the billing account number
How To Buy A Money Order With Debit Card
If you want to buy a money order with a debit card then you have to go to the nearest financial service provider that accepts debit cards as a payment option for a Money order. Then you have to collect the money order form and fill it with the required information and amount that you want to send. Then you have to go to an officer and submit the form and other required documents like a photo ID card. The officer will check all your information and then ask you to make the payment. Now you can make the payment with your debit card. While making the payment makes sure your card has a sufficient balance or you won’t be able to buy the money order.
How To Fill Out A Money Order
You can easily fill out a money order. The process is very simple. Follow the below steps –
1. First, you have to buy the money order from the financial service provider. Usually, the service provider accepts cash, debit card, credit card, or check so you can easily buy a money order and make the payment according to your choice.
2. Once you purchase the money order make sure you fill it out immediately or anyone who picks it up can make it out to him/her and keep the money.
3. Now write the name of the person or business that will receive the money order. You should enter the recipient’s name in the “Pay to the Order Of” line.
4. Then, under the “Pay to the Order Of” line, you’ll find the “Purchaser Signer for Drawer” line. In this section, you have to put your signature. Make sure you use the official signature that matches your valid IDs.
5. Below the signature line, you will find the Address option. Here you have to put the address of the purchaser who has bought the money order, not the recipient’s address. Provide the full address including street, city, state, zip code, etc.
6. Now, separate the money order from its receipt. There is a detachable stub just beside the money order number and it serves as your receipt. You must save the stub until the money order is received by the recipient. This is your proof of payment.
FAQs About Can You Buy A Money Order With A Debit Card?
1. Can You Buy A Money Order With A Debit Card At Walmart?
Yes, you can buy a money order with a debit card at Walmart because Walmart accepts PIN-enabled debit cards as a method of payment for MoneyGram money orders. You can buy money orders for up to $1,000 with a debit card. You have to pay a fee of $0.70 for each money order.
2. Are Money Orders Safe?
Yes, money orders are safe to use but they are not completely safe from fraud activities. Therefore, you should treat every money order with caution.
3. Can I Buy A Money Order With A Debit Card At CVS?
CVS accepts both cash and debit cards as the payment option for a money order. So, yes, you can buy a money order with a debit card at CVS.
3. Can You Buy A Money Order With A Check?
No, you cannot buy a money order with a check because checks can take a few days to complete the process. Therefore, you have to buy a money order with cash or a debit card.
4. Can You Buy A Money Order With A Debit Card At 7-Eleven?
Unfortunately, 7-Eleven only accepts cash as the payment method for a money order. So you won’t be able to buy a money order with a debit card at 7-Eleven.
5. Where Can You Cash A Money Order?
There are many places where you can cash a money order. For example –
2. Credit union
3. Money transfer outlet
4. Post office
5. Grocery store
6. Check-cashing location
7. Convenience store
8. Money order issuer
9. Retail store
6. Does Walgreens Do Money Orders?
No, Walgreens doesn’t sell money orders. They only provide money transfer service via Western Union.
7. Can You Buy A Money Order With A Debit Card At Kroger?
Kroger accepts debit cards as a payment method for a money order. So, you can buy a money order with a debit card at Kroger.
8. Do You Need ID To Buy A Money Order?
Most financial service providers want a valid photo ID when buying a money order. So you will need an ID to prove your identity before you can buy a money order.
9. Can I Buy A Money Order With A Debit Card At Western Union?
Western Union accepts cash, traveler’s checks, and debit card as the payment option for a Money order. So you can easily make the payment for a money order with a debit card at Western Union.
Last Updated on October 5, 2022 by Magalie D.
Magalie D. is a Diploma holder in Public Administration & Management from McGill University of Canada. She shares management tips here in MGTBlog when she has nothing to do and gets some free time after working in a multinational company at Toronto.